Snail homing instinct confirmed by science

15 Responses to “Snail homing instinct confirmed by science”

1. Donald Petersen says:

They’re laughing now, right though their stomachfeet. But once Mr Coggins comes home with a fresh box of Corry’s…

these things will bulldoze a magic mushroom patch in short order.

3. turingcub says:

UGH GOD NO it has not discovered any such thing. And a little fun prose does not soften the blow of annoyingly irresponsible science non-reporting.

I apologize that I have a fairly complete lack of sense of humor about such things.

Mr. Beschizza would do well to RTFA. It IS the Beeb science desk, after all; half the time you might as well be quoting Perez Hilton.

*stomps off to look for garlic butter*

4. dr says:

So, one day my doorbell rang; nobody was there, but when I looked down there was a snail on the doorstep. I picked it up and hurled it across the street, over my neighbor’s fence.

The next day the doorbell rang again, and again there was nobody there. I looked down, and there was the snail, who asked, “What the hell was that all about?”

i once had a roommate whose job had him constantly out-of-town, and during those times, i’d look after his aquarium. he had one of those big black “mystery snails” named mr nasty.

one day as i was feeding thme, i noticed mr nasty way up near the surface of the water. i sprinkled a few tiny pellets near him, and he then tipped his head back and om nom nom’ed the fish food with his tiny little mouth.

from that day onward he was almost always there at the top at feeding time, usually with his head already obligingly tipped back, so i could drop a tiny piece right into his mouth.

i’m a firm believer that snails are smarter than most people would think!

r.i.p. mr nasty <3

6. Rich Keller says:

Whenever I go into a French restaurant, about a dozen of them always find their way back into my stomach. It’s uncanny, really.

7. Pete says:

Actually, the best part of this story is that the beeb is encouraging people to do their own experiment, and send in the result: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/so-you-want-to-be-a-scientist/experiments/homing-snails/snail-swap/

I’ve always noticed that If you chuck snails over your fence/wall the same ones are back the next day.

9. Phikus says:

Mrs Coggins was unaware of the trap they had left her on the sidewalk. Slipping in the trail that was their only weapon, years (eons in snail time) of patience finally paid off as she was sent sprawling to the ground with a deafening thud, the Sluggo rolling from her lifeless hand.

10. dbarak says:

Aren’t homing pigeons a little more practical?

11. Gawain Lavers says:

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an eating machine. It’s really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is crawl and eat and make little snails, and that’s all.”