More on Indiana State Fair's doughnut burgers and fried everything

28 Responses to “More on Indiana State Fair's doughnut burgers and fried everything”

1. Trotsky says:

In Alabama, Texas deep-fried old hat is old hat. Now, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried deep-fried butter-filled old hat… with bacon. In a new hat. Made of butter.

Then you put THAT hat on… and they deep fry you.

You have to eat your way out. That’s eatin’, y’all!

Pfff; they were frying everything in sight in Scotland before the US even existed.

OLD NEWS.

So if I ride my bicycle to the state fair this year ($1 off admission) it will cancel out the effects of the doughnut burger right?

Dirt Candy, the veggie restaurant in NYC, declares that the biggest food trend in America right now is Carnival Food and they draw links between the food in this article and current gourmet food trends.

I think they read your post.

5. shichae says:

Deep Fried Butter!?!?! What in the name of Paula Deen have these State Fair carnies created? The Doughnut Burgers on the other hand sound absolutely Brilliant!!! I wonder what a Maple Bar-Coney Island hot dog would taste like…

6. johnphantom says:

I have to agree with deep frying turkey. It is really good.

On the other hand, a lot of the things in this article sound fairly disgusting to me… especially the butter.

7. Trotsky says:

I say we birdnap all the chickens from the Tyson facility in Albertville, Alabama, drive those roasters into the Gulf, and set that entire ocean on fire!

That’s how Dom DeLuise would have done it.

8. Trotsky says:

I mean… seriously.

Who would complain if delicious fried chicken washed up on the beach?

9. politeruin says:

Only in america… and america can keep it.

Eugh.

10. mgfarrelly says:

I know there will be a thousand “gah! My arteries!” comments as well as the usual “Ugh, fat Americans” snide-ness, but before all that starts, consider, for a moment, that this is all a gag.

State Fairs are big goofy events with hundreds, if not thousands of vendors. People are hot, bored, wandering around and hungry. If you offer something weird, something that sounds like an amalgam of tasty things, something people can laugh about while they eat, you’re going to make bank.

It’s about standing out in the crowd.

No one is suggesting a diet consisting entirely of donut-burgers and fried Coca-Cola, but damn if I’d be hard pressed not to buy one of each for sheer novelty.

Your Arteries will survive. Really.

• Boba Fett Diop says:

I agree. I’m a healthy person- I exercise frequently and I’m in pretty decent shape for my age (although my knees are starting to go). I’m very careful about what I eat- although I’m not by any means a “health food nut,” I pay very close to attention to what I eat, how much I eat, and particularly the quality I of food I eat. I’m a very vocal advocate of fresh foods, local foods and ethical meat.

That being said, I would eat the hell out of a doughnut burger.

Preferably after three or four beers.

11. Trotsky says:

Every time I read the words “fried butter,” I throw up a little in my mouth…

Then I deep fry the vomit and sell it for $5 at the Indiana State Fair!

12. DeWynken says:

I dub the Doughburger the official food of the Tea Party.

But of course we know it’s not a real party till you squeeze a couple Lemons, so maybe they could work that in..

13. FnordX says:

I have tried fried pickles, and, honestly, fried pickle chips with some ranch dressing are, quite possibly, the best appetizer there is. I’m not too keen on the fried pickle spears, though.

And chocolate-covered bacon is… interesting. It’s kind of like a peanut butter cup, but, you know, meaty.

I recommend looking into the Texas State Fair for even more fried wares… they take fried food REALLY seriously.

15. PlutoniumX says:

On the news the other day, they showed a fair in PA that had Doughnut Burgers with chocolate covered bacon.

Every time I hear about a stick of butter being considered a tasty snack food I think of this episode of Whitest Kids U’Know.

17. drehleierguy says:

Sticking with the “I” states, David Foster Wallace’s piece on the Illinois State Fair is a classic:

harpers.org/media/pdf/dfw/HarpersMagazine-1994-07-0001729.pdf

The Ohio State Fair here in Columbus just ended and had a fair amount of similar. The only one I was fortunate enough to sample was the chocolate covered bacon which was… weird.

19. Drowse says:

I second the comment about the TX state fair.. And I grew up in Indiana and know the state fair there.

Fried Butter? Its old hat in Texas.

20. pAULbOWEN says:

deep-fried sushi, deep-fried dill pickles, deep-fried candy bars

See what happens if you let the Scots do the catering?

Say UGH all you want about a lot on those menus….

but deep-fried dill pickles are made of awesome.

22. bcsizemo says:

Screw this fair stuff.

I want to see someone deep fry a Thanksgiving turkey in clarified butter…

Oh yeah.

• Boba Fett Diop says:

Also, deep frying in clarified butter would be difficult. The high temperatures needed for deep frying would most likely cause the butter to scorch or break down. Butter or ghee is much better for simmering or making sauces, although I’ve heard that ghee does have a high enough smoke point for some deep frying.

Now deep frying a turkey in beef tallow or peanut oil is a totally different story. And by “totally different”, I mean “awesome.” Just remember to do it outdoors if you’re trying it at home.

23. geekd says:

Chocolate covered bacon is awesome. Really, really good. It’s like salty chocolate with a crunchy texture.

Oh man, I got to go make some now.