Detroit velodrome reclaimed by lawnmower-wielding urban bike activists

11 Responses to “Detroit velodrome reclaimed by lawnmower-wielding urban bike activists”

1. a random John says:

Longer term they should hit that thing with some Round-Up to kill the plants growing in the surface of the track. After that simply having enough people ride on it would keep the weeds down.

Very cool project. It is great to see people reclaim their public space.

2. wiredfool says:

Half a mile sounds wrong, It’s probably 1/4 mile or less, as a 400m track is about as long as they ever get.

Apart from that, way cool. Velodromes are a lot of fun for riders and spectators.

3. Boba Fett Diop says:

Well done Mower Gang. Sadly, this type of citizen activism is more necessary than ever as government abdicates its responsibilities in many parts of the US. I wonder if some contractors would be willing to donate some time and asphalt?

I never knew there was a velodrome in Detroit. I wish there was one in Toronto- they’re supposed to build one for the PanAm games, but it will be located in Hamilton!

• Anonymous says:

I don’t really see why the “sadly” is necessary. As people take more responsibility for the world around them, we need less government, and thus we are more able to shape our surrounding environments instead of letting a representative body do it for us. To me, that is an unqualified Good Thing.

You never know until you ask. Try some cement companies also. Sometimes have extra mix, so if forms were already set up, they could go there to dump instead of the edge of a driveway.

But great job to the Mower Gang! Kids need a place to ride.

With a little Googling, I was able to find a map of the velodrome.

Too bad it looks like it needs a lot more than a lawnmower. As others have mentioned, it looks like the asphalt needs a lot of work. Probably more of a course for full suspension mountain bikes than those fancy fixed gear track bikes.

6. kingharlo says:

There’s video up of the Velodrome being repurposed as a motorcycle boardtrack.

7. kam says:

We have a Velodrome. No kidding.
    Good to hear news about Detroit in a Good Light for a change.

8. gabu says:

I got all excited for a minute because I thought this had something to do with Videodrome.

Long live the new flesh! Anyone?