The League of S.T.E.A.M.'s Interactive Performance

9 Responses to “The League of S.T.E.A.M.'s Interactive Performance”

1. Penh says:

Hey, I saw them at Comic Con! They set up and did a couple of shows right next to the booth where I was working as a Pikachu wrangler! Sadly, the crowd was too thick for me to see much of anything without abandoning my charge, which no good wrangler would ever do. Still, what I could see looked mighty cool, and I even forgave them for not stopping to pose for pix with Pikachu afterwards.

2. MandoSpaz says:

I don’t believe there’s a word missing there, but rather that “supernatural” is being used as a verb. These folks take creatures and, using steampunk-inspired gear, they supernatural them. Couldn’t be much clearer, really.

In my opinion (for what it’s worth) this fascination with the beauty of steampunk is a reaction against the ugliness of modernism.
    Imagine a parallel universe where minimalist modernism never happened, and our cities, towns, houses, buildings, tools, appliances, clothes were inspired instead by victorian steampunk.

• Liz Ohanesian says:

I think you have a really good point about steampunk as a reaction against modernism. With that in mind, I wonder too if the reason why steampunk has become so popular in L.A. is because it’s a place where the old is frequently torn down in favor of the new.

• jfrancis says:

Here’s how I felt about it when I started writing what’s now called ‘Clockpunk’ back in ’95:

For me Steampunk, or more specifically in my case, Clockpunk, was a reaction to the 80′s.

If you looked at the colors on the magazine covers on newsstands, they all seemed to warm up and lighten up almost simultaneously after 1989 ended. It was as if people we ready to let go of dark futures, and blues and blacks and silvers, and embrace sunny warm gold and brass and wood.

For me also it was not about imagining a ‘cooler’ past, or about imagining a transformed present, but about giving the past credit for how cool it actually was (plus a tweak here and there)

4. GreenJello says:

I wonder what the archelogists are going to make of all this in a few thousand years time when they dig up these crazy (non-functional) clothes. Religious cerimonies? Bad Taste? Sexual Fetish? I don’t really understand it NOW, let alone 1000 years from now, with much fewer clues.

5. Threewinds says:

I saw them perform at a local club here in Los Angeles with a group of vampire belly dancers. The League and Twisted Gypsy were a lot of fun!
    Can’t wait to see them both again.

6. Chentzilla says:

>The basic premise is that they supernatural creatures with steampunk-inspired gear.

The missing word is probably “hunt”. Though I’d take a chance to start a competition for the best replacement.