The Wandering Marionettes' Gorgeous Masked Performances

11 Responses to “The Wandering Marionettes' Gorgeous Masked Performances”

1. pinehead says:

For as much as I dislike dance numbers and interactive theatre, I found this video very engaging. Something about the masks and costumes matches up with something or other in my brain.

Too often, the motif of the porcelain-smooth mask is used to conceal some sinister character, but these people don’t appear to be doing that at all. Instead, it almost has a sort of kabuki feel to it. Sort of.

I’ll have to find out some more about the Wandering Marionettes. Thanks for the video.

2. jimkirk says:

Reminds me of the dancers who kidnap Kevin in the movie Time Bandits.

Man, that would freak me out. If one of them came up to me in a club, I would leave and never come back.

4. JimEJim says:

If you like this, you’ll probably like the Jabbawockeez, which have been around for a while now. I’ve always liked the idea of having the plain white masks on to conceal the dancers and give them the ability to morph into all sorts of characters.

You can find a bunch of vids around with them. They were in America’s Best Dance Crew on MTV, winning the first season, and then went on to have a Vegas show. Not sure if that’s still going on.

5. theawesomerobot says:

The costumes really sell it for me here.

6. Bliss says:

Cybermen!

Run!

7. devophill says:

I am disappointed by the lack of actual marionettes.

I’ve seen the Wandering Marionettes at Jareth and they are great. Very entertaining and they really do interact with the audience. Their costumes and masks are a lot of fun, and really give their performance something extra.

They are fantastic artists, I’ve been watching their shows for years now with Cirque Berzerk, Labyrinth and at arts events around town. If any LA artists deserve more shows and recommendations it’s the Wandering Marionettes! Fantastic look and feel, choreography and art/design under the hood.

10. milkyway2009 says:

well, here’s a korean group which i now believe is about 8 or 9 years old. they have a marionette routine that has become quite well known in asia.

not sure if that’s an influence they had or whatnot

11. Ugly Canuck says: