In 1998, Eberhard Faber stopped making the Blackwing 602 pencil, and its cult users have been pining for them ever since. An unsharpened Blackwing can sell for $40 on eBay. One person told me his eBay auction for a box of Blackwings went to a "song writer/composer who's worked with Barry Manilow and on feature films, and chooses to only write music using the Blackwing 602."
Today I received in the mail two pre-production Palomino Blackwing pencils, made by California Cedar. Keeping in mind these are pre-production pencils, here are my impressions after using the pencil for a few minutes.
More photos and notes after the jump (click images to embiggen).
• The color of the new Blackwing (NB) is flat black. The color of the original Blackwing is (OB) is a lustrous charcoal gray.
• NB has a gold band painted near the top of the wood, OB does not.
• OB has a black band painted on the ferrule, NB does not.
• OB has stamped motto HALF THE PRESSURE, TWICE THE SPEED, NB does not.
• OB has pink eraser, NB has white eraser.
SMELL OF WOOD
• NB has a stronger, spicy smell. Reminded me of Indian food. Not unpleasant. OB's smell is faint, but this could be due to its age (at least 12 years old).
PENCIL LEAD TEST (preliminary)
• NB is softer and darker than OB.
• NB is quieter on the paper.
• OB holds a point longer than NB.
• I also compared the OB and NB to a Palomino HB, one of my favorite pencils. The Palomino actually seems closer to the OB than the NB does!
• A cheap pencil I found in my daughter's desk was so close in quality to the OB, NB, and Palomino HB that I found myself wondering why I was caring so darn much about pencils.
I like the OB for sentimental reasons. If the NB ends up looking almost exactly like the OB and costs under $2.00, I will buy it. Otherwise I will use any HB that ends up in my hand.
Here are some photos comparing the different pencil leads I tried:
When I reviewed Matt Ruff’s incredible Lovecraft Country last February on its hardcover release dates, I wrote, “Ruff inverts the Lovecraft horror, which turned so often on “miscegenation” and the duty of advanced humans to trample those around them in their drive to recapture this lost wisdom (and humanity’s lost grace). His Lovecraftian horror is […]
Decelerate Blue is a new dystopian science fiction YA graphic novel from Adam Rapp and Mike Cavallaro that tells the story of Angela Swiff, a teen who refuses to go along with the “Guarantee,” a totalitarian philosophy that demands that everyone work, play and (especially) shop as quickly as is humanly possible.
Lenovo’s Yoga Book is the most striking personal computer I’ve seen in years. More than the original iPhone, or Sony’s X505, or the Messagepad, here’s technology that seems a few years ahead of schedule. It’s compact, attractive and thinner than anything else that might be called a laptop. Imagine two hinged pieces of black glass, […]
Python is immensely popular in the data science world for the same reason it is in most other areas of computing—it has highly readable syntax and is suitable for anything from short scripts to massive web services. One of its most exciting, newest applications, however, is in machine learning. You can dive into this booming […]
Learning new skills is a great way to improve your resume and stand out from other candidates. Especially in a workforce in which many job-seekers have a wide variety of qualifications. With lifetime access to Virtual Training Company, you won’t have to choose a specific focus. You can pick up new expertise whenever you deem it […]
Instead of throwing out all the empties after your next party, why not transform them into some new DIY glassware? Cut back on waste and add some home ambiance with the Kinkajou Bottle Cutter and Candle Making Kit.The Kinkajou is designed as a clamp-on scoring blade to make precise cuts. Just slide a bottle in, tighten […]