This is not a perfect dinosaur turd. Or is it?

24 Responses to “This is not a perfect dinosaur turd. Or is it?”

that would have to be some giant Iguanadon to have a 10-foot poop. That’s 1/2 the length of an Iguanadon body. Maybe the ratios are different for dinos but I sure haven’t had any 3 ft. long poops lately.

• codesuidae says:

well, you’re counting the length of your legs. if you get down on all fours you’re probably only about 3 feet long. In which case you’d only need maybe 18 inches of poo, which is probably within the realm of possibility, at least for people who don’t eat a ‘low residue’ diet.

2. keighvin says:

Looks like a good example of prehistoric fungus to me. Do some googling, and/or check out the work of Paul Stamets.

3. Prufrock451 says:

The Megacorn, by the way, trailed a rainbow which split the visible spectrum into TWENTY-ONE colors.

Thanks for this article. I got all inspired so I wrote this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinocochlea :-)

5. skeletoncityrepeater says:

My guess is it is the shell of an ancient Nautiloid

Some of them were huge and had spiral shells like this.

6. Chang says:

I for one welcome our giant dinosaur poop overlords.

7. ClintonD says:

Inspired by this post, I made some t-shirts over at CafePress with the design from this article.

Although I’ve never seen a horn in this particular shade it does remind me of the Ceratopsians. Maybe the years of erosion has shaped it into such an odd way.

9. Donald Petersen says:

An organism would need some pretty fancy sphincter muscles to get such a nice “ice cream” effect.

(Ahem)

There was young fellow named Bart
    Who strained every shit through a fart
    Each tip-tapered turd
    Was the very last word
    In this deft and most intricate art.

(Nope, not mine, though I’m danged if I know where to attribute it.)

My guess is it is the shell of an ancient Nautiloid
    antalya web tasarım

11. adwkiwi says:

“Terrible snail” is one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard. Who says scientists can’t name stuff? :)

12. dross1260 says:

At first, I thought Daemonelix

13. viscosityprint says:

Rare/EX drop from King Unicorn

14. spugbrap says:

My first (silly) thought was, “prehistoric unicorn horn!” On a similar (but more serious) note: Could it be a narwhal tusk?

According to the Wikipedia entry for Narwhal, “The tusk can be up to 3 meters (9.8 ft) long,” which seems about right based on the size of the specimen relative to the human in the picture.

Looking at narwhal tusk photos, I see that they are spiral shaped as well. I think they may be too thin, though. Perhaps a prehistoric narwhal relative could have had a thicker tusk.

15. xzzy says:

So now the race is on to build a machine that can replicate this behavior, as a sort of 1 million year troll against our descendants.

Dildo for giants?

17. Unmutual says:

It’s the horn of a Megacorn, the giant sized relative of the Unicorn, that died out at exactly the same time as the Unicorn and all the dinosaurs; approximately 4,000 years ago during the great flood.

18. Gilmoid1 says:

I read Lumley’s “The Burrowers Beneath”. It’s one of the spawn of Shudde-Mell from lost G’Harne!!

19. nehpetsE says:

Megacorn was all about super-sized virgins

20. okkent says:

I strongly support the Megacorn hypothesis. It was a grand beast. I’m sure if we could find remnants of dinosaur skin, we would see evidence of many a goring incidents as the Megacorn fought to keep the goodness and light of their smaller kin, the unicorn, alive.

21. mellowknees says:

MEGACORN: Best hypothesis for ANYTHING, ever.

I’ve seen spiraled dog shit while walking through my neighborhood. Couldn’t believe it until a few days later when I watched what I assumed was the culprit dog do this funny spinning move while taking a dump.