Rob Cockerham's quest for a solid ice beer tray

24 Responses to “Rob Cockerham's quest for a solid ice beer tray”

1. erratic says:

<snobbery>
    or just buy quality beer that doesn’t need to be ice cold to mask the poor taste?
    </snobbery>

but, seriously, that’s some fun tinkering.

2. seanboing says:

Rob Cockerham, you are awesome!

paulatz – yes, but the intervening layer of melted ice should stay at the freezing point as long as there is sufficient ice, transfering heat efficiently.

4. erratic says:

awww, the comment system edited out my novelty HTML tags “snobery” and “/snobery” above :(

Wow, so much work for something that is simple.

1. put an inch or so of water in the bottom of the tray.
    2. freeze it.
    3. Take unopened cans or cans filled with bbs, dirt, marbles(whatever floats your boat)
    4. Spray outside of cans with cooking spray.
    5. Put the cans in the tray.
    6. Fill with water.
    7. freeze.
    8. remove cans and you are done.

6. beejamin says:

I thought of pykrete, too! I bet shredded newspaper would work as a reinforcing/insulating agent, too…

7. graywh says:

What, no handle?

I really want to try this, but where I live the time for ice cold outdoor beer is pretty much over. Here’s hoping that I will remember bookmark or procedure come next summer.

9. foxtails says:

Wouldn’t it be simpler to find some slightly-tapered plastic cups about the same size as a 12-oz beverage can, and crazy-glue them to the lid of the container to make a mold? A hole in the lid would make it easy to fill.

10. Flashman says:

That’s excellent, great idea!
    I can’t believe Martha Stewart didn’t want to use it.

Now, make it out of Pykrete.

Why not just take the top off some cans, pack them with dry sand and wait for the ice to freeze. When it does, it’s no problem to tip the sand out, pour some hot water into the cans and have your container ready about a minute after taking it out of the freezer.

If the block is going to be floating in the pool, I’d also consider making the first layer of ice a fair bit deeper.

Or you can drill holes in a block of ice:

For cans, buy the 2 1/2 inch, plonk it on a drill press, and you have a tray making machine (plus shaved ice!)

Or save a few bucks and get the adjustable one. Good for cans and bottles.

15. El Mariachi says:

Wouldn’t an ice water bath transfer heat from the can more efficiently? Plus it’s refillable once it gets too melty.

16. Antinous / Moderator says:

where I live the time for ice cold outdoor beer is pretty much over

Where I live, the season for going outdoors hasn’t even started yet. It was 113° today.

17. Powell says:

I salute this man!

18. taghag says:

great home practical engineering project! the end result is much nicer than i expected. i also like the self-awareness in his writing style.

19. paulatz says:

AS much as I like the project, this is not the best way to cool down some beers: the usual semi-melted ice “granita” has the advantage of always being in contact with the can, for optimal heat transfer. Those holes, instead, will become larger when they start to melt dramatically reducing the contact area (down to a single vertical line of tangency, in the ideal case).

20. jason says:

Why couldn’t you just fill the cans with a mixture of water and alcohol – say, half-way? The alcohol would lower the freezing point of the water inside, so it would stay liquid and not expand.

I normally love Rob’s investigations, but this just seems like bad process – maybe i’ve come to expect more from him.