22 Responses to “Secret Historian: "The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade"”

Query: if he was (albeit briefly) in the Navy why is he wearing a Coast Guard uniform in the cover photo? Service-curious?

There was a great line in CARNAL KNOWLEDGE that Art Garfinkle tells Jack Nicholsom’s character who was his former college buddy:
    “You know, you can’t make fucking your life’s work” Apparently Samuel did!

3. Antinous / Moderator says:

With all that Hollywood pubic hair on file, might we see another Jurassic Park sequel?

Fascinating…I’ve put this book on my library hold list. However, that video is NOT safe for work, unless your workplace is ok with multiple scans of pictures of men with their pants down and graphic orgy scenes (in which case, lucky for you…).

Steward also published an autobiography, _Bad Boys and Tough Tattoos_.

6. blahrgh says:

FYI: the video is not work safe, unless you work in a place where they allow you to look at panning shots of orgies.

7. wasmax says:

Xeni, your definition of “work-safe” is interesting.
    I guess it depends on where you work…
    Nudity, orgies, S&M tools?
    What do you consider NSFW?

But you’re right, it was fascinating.

An era exciting, lonely, and lost.

9. trieste says:

It’s always nice to have a hobby.

10. RHK says:

This makes me feel as if I am ultimately alone, a drop of protoplasm adrift in an incomprehensibly vast, utterly uncaring universe.

11. Jean-Luc Turbo says:

I guess I’ve been demoted back to “practicing” homosexual…

I finished the book a couple weeks ago. While it seems like an interesting topic, in the end it’s just a tedious recitation of the life of a sex addict who made very little of himself.

#19 Respectfully, I disagree. I too, finished the book a couple of weeks ago (and was also moved to read Sam’s autobiography, which is very stylishly and entertainingly written) and it was an amazing story and an entertaining read. This guy was a fascinating combination of intellectual, voyeur, renegade, historian and researcher. He lived a difficult life, sometimes under brutal circumstances, yet he triumphed over it all and his obsessive record-keeping is a testament to it – also an important and rare document of a long period of American gay history, which would otherwise be largely unknown.