Bruce Lee in Oakland

17 Responses to “Bruce Lee in Oakland”

Several years ago I watched the 25 anniversary edition of Enter the Dragon. I love the movie, but the really cool thing was the documentaries included on the second disc and how they ACCIDENTALLY exposed the myth of Bruce Lee.

Because the docs overlap and have different people relating the same anecdotes about Lee from different points of view you get to see how stories got told and retold and how those stories mutate. You really get a sense of how committed Lee’s widow is to preserving and perhaps even embellishing the myths.

There’s this one anecdote about a fight with a stuntman that gets told by a few different people and by the end of the DVD you get the sense that there was a confrontation of some sort, but whether it was an actual fight… well it’s hard to say because everybody;s story is a bit different.

I could have passed on the one minute intro in favor of more ass-kicking and history (historic ass-kickings, anyone?)

3. Pirate says:

That aerial shot in the opening sequence buzzed my apartment building.

I hope this goes through. I knew Bruce had his first studio here in Oaktown, but I didn’t know I’d been pedaling past the spot on my bike for years.

510, baby!

4. johnnyuber says:

Bruce Lee’s grave is in Seattle, right next to Brandon’s on Capitol Hill.

5. lewis stoole says:

i am embarrassed to ask this, but any ideas on the font used in the title sequence?

Kung fu (Chinese), not Karate (Japanese).

7. Sveden says:

Karate is Japanese.

8. knoxblox says:

Arrogance leads to failure.

–The Buddha (Siddhartha Gotama)

9. abulafia says:

So it goes.

I’d love to see any kind of recognition in the US of Bruce Lee. Is there anything at all? He was probably the most influential person in the film industry when it come to action/fight choreography and all the set pieces we love so much. Not so much the rom-coms though.

• Ugly Canuck says:

Recognition? You mean like a statue or something?
      In terms of recognition, I think his too-few films still sell well, judging from how quickly “Enter The dragon” came out on Blu-ray…after all, if things did not sell on standard DVD, then they don’t get released on blu-ray. So that counts as evidence of Lee’s continued recognition by the public at least.

Here’s a song in the memory of Bruce Lee, may he RIP, linked here by one who was a fan of his while he yet walked this earth:

If the world were fair, Lee (and his heirs) really ought to have gotten a piece of the profits from that song. IMHO.

The man was grace in action.

10. kiddr01 says:

ha! i thought that fight with wong jack man sounded quite interesting, so i thought I’d find out a little more about it. Apparently there was wong ‘s version of events – which basically amounts to ‘the dude was poking me in the eye’s, and i could have killed him three times, but i let him go cos they would have sent me to jail’…

11. Brainspore says:

I was going to make a comment about the last time I got a haircut in Oakland and got an earful of gossip from Bruce Lee’s former barber, but after reading the excerpt all I can think of is 75-year-old Mayor Dellums doing Kung Fu. Who knew?

I’m proud that Oakland and Bruce Lee have a long history (ever hiked the Bruce Lee Trail out by Mt. Diablo?) But it’s too bad that Bruce Lee is in my mind now associated with Ron Dellums, even peripherally.

• Anonymous says:

You should know that the Bruce Lee Trail in Concord is not named after the martial artist, but after my grandfather, Bruce R. Lee, who spent his life protecting the trails and habitats around the bay area and the Pacific coastline. It was dedicated to him just before he died from cancer my senior year in high school. I am glad you enjoy the trail, but you should know why it is there – and it has nothing to do with karate.

13. porp says: