Enormous library desk made of books

22 Responses to “Enormous library desk made of books”

1. Devi says:

There are people who would be horrified and possibly angry about that desk. I work in a library and learned that books are not sacred objects that should be kept and preserved no matter what. Lots of people will never learn that. They give us their old books thinking we’ll put them into circulation since a book is a book or so we can get rid of them and they don’t have to deal with the horror of putting books in a recycling bin.

I love that desk. It’s a good thing my stacks of books I keep for art projects aren’t large enough to cover furniture. Yet.

Looks unstable.

3. mst3kmoxie says:

Cool!

Now a bookshelf made of books would be awesome, albeit perhaps confusing. ;-)

4. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Speaking as someone who has had to clean school libraries, that desk is a maintenance nightmare. The ones at the bottom edge are going to get dirty fast and it will look like hell. And how would you clean them, an eraser? There’s a good reason most circulation desks I see are fronted in Formica.

5. WaylonWillie says:

beautiful! i would like to know if the books are glued together…. anyone?

no glue, they’re just neatly stacked with a glass plate on top.

Before the old faculty building burned down, we had a cool MIR spacecraft espresso bar made of old washing machine parts:

I would like to borrow the thirteenth book from the top, seventeenth book from the left, on the north-facing side. Thank you.

8. TeamTaylorTyler says:

What a great idea! Here is a way to recycle old, used and outdated published material. I can look at my shelves and quickly see books that would make end tables. What a fun way to memorialize an era, for instance, childhood favorites, college texts.

9. EH says:

Shoulda made it out of cards from discarded card catalogs.

10. timbearcub says:

Be careful of bookworms…

11. paboo says:

Amazing. Love it. Found some detailed photos here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellf/with/3870217390/

12. hungryjoe says:

Previous BoingBoingBibliophile outrage here:

and here:

I like books as much as the next person, but I also recognize that we can’t keep ‘em all. This is a neat use for the otherwise throwaway books. Can anyone tell what they used for the surface? Looks like maybe a translucent acrylic panel?

13. RonKaplanNJ says:

Kind or like building a stone wall. Are there directions for this anywhere?

This is a university library in the Netherlands. I can be positive that none of these books are anything close to rare.

Depending on their authors, these books give another meaning to the term “dry stack”….?

Important tip: make sure that the spines are NOT visible. Otherwise somebody will find a title there that the despratly want to check out and will be become very frustrated when they discover that the book is permanantly glued in place.

I also like how they’ve used folios for the corners, maximizing strength.

18. hungryjoe says:

Outraged bibliophiles in 3…2…1…

• mgfarrelly says:

Nah, speaking as a bibliophile (and a librarian) I think it’s wonderful. There are many books that end up discarded (out of date, damaged, whole runs of encyclopedias superseded every year!) so making use of them in a work of library art is brilliant!

• Anonymous says:

I buy many of those sorts of books to replace the ones that I lost in two separate incidents of total destruction. I currently only have a couple of hundred to replace the 8000+ that I have lost.

This is both cool and a little sad for me.

• sapere_aude says:

I can’t see why any bibliophile would be outraged by this. These are worn out books that would otherwise have been discarded. And I’m pretty sure that none of the books used to make this desk was a rare first edition, or the only surviving copy of some obscure work. If you’re a book lover (as I am), wouldn’t you rather see worn out books made into a beautiful piece of furniture than dumped in a landfill? I’d love to have a handsome piece of furniture made out of old books (something much smaller than this, of course). A small table, cabinet, or desk made out of books would look great in my home library.