26 Responses to “Soviet brochure from Expo '58: "Come Visit the USSR! Soviet Women! Sputniks and Rockets!"”

1. sergeirichard says:

There’s something heartbreakingly innocent about these designs.

2. Coxswain says:

is it bad that the first thing i thought when i saw the bit about the north pole tent was “oh, hey, top gear wasn’t the first group to take cars to the north pole after all!” ?

3. Thad E Ginataom says:

Damn!

But then… I was only six at the time.

Ahh Soviet women and their Yakovlev Yak-ing, how I miss them.

For me, as an American, the Soviet women, food, shelter, healthcare and lack of a plutocracy would have been the strongest selling points. The censorship and oligarchical bureaucracy, not so much.

6. Sapa says:

In a country where women are given credit for their intelligence this ad may have been directed not at men but at the women themselves. The attitude of this comment displays how lacking some cultures are.

for the small-brained an example: “SOVIET MEN” would this be directed only at the female populace?

Old Times. I was there. The Sovient pavillion sign said URSS. I’ve always wondered if French could have been bent enough for the sign to say RUSS.

The Automium is about the only thing left standing I think.

8. Marco Mustapic says:

Sputniks AND The Atomium?! Best expo ever!

9. ackpht says:

Except that on the “visitor’s route” suggested on the map, women are dead last at location 12. The savvy visitor could visit “Soviet Women” before “Sport and Leisure”- then “Children” and “Education” follow logically.

10. Nadreck says:

Ah, those Ukraine girls really knock me out: they leave the West behind….

11. bjacques says:

Come see for yourself, tovarishch! You are also checking out real boss Ice-9 refinery on Big Diomede! You can see Alaska from here! For decadent western imperialists with only one thing on their minds, Soviet Woman is on right.

12. Halloween Jack says:

Soviet woman, get away from me-hee…

Looks like this pavilion was a way to get western hard currency.

14. Rachel H says:

Is it wrong that I can’t help but read the brochure in my head with a thick, fake Russian accent?

15. Rich Keller says:

Is that a blond Astro Boy with her or the Ur-Calvin?

I like the lino cut quality these have. Some of the others look like cocktail napkin illustrations.

16. MrJM says:

Come for the ladies, stay for the electrodrills!

17. thequickbrownfox says:

Stalin managed to crush the avant-garde in literature and music and return these forms to crude nationalistic and militaristic themes, but the revolutionary graphic styles of constructivism and suprematism seemed to escape his dull vision and became the national aesthteic format for graphis design.

18. drill_here_fore_seismics says:

All rights reserved and no downloading of the flickr images? for shame!

19. dross1260 says:

26 models of television sets!

20. Gilbert Wham says:

Yes. Yes, I want to see all these things. Take me to them.

21. penguinchris says:

It’s awesome but what strikes me is the technological bent. Sure, Sputnik would be a big draw, but the rest of the stuff? *I* think it all sounds awesome, yes, but it’s no surprise they threw in “soviet girls” as well :)

And if there were such an exposition today, how very, very different it would be… no one would be interested in any of that kind of stuff. I guess I should look up what’s at the expo in Shanghai – all I’ve seen regarding that is the architecture (which is amazing) but not what’s actually at the various pavilions.

• Jonathan Badger says:

I went to the 1982 World’s Fair in Knoxville, TN and one of the Eastern Bloc countries (East Germany? Hungary?) had the focus of their pavilion be a more efficient form of air conditioning. It was actually on topic for the fair as the theme was energy conservation, but the pavilion was nearly empty — just not exciting enough, I guess.

I’m sold.

Most countries enticing tourists don’t try to make their women look harsh and severe. I guess the Soviets were going for the niche market that prefer women who don’t smile.