Cool Tools and Boing Boing team up

22 Responses to “Cool Tools and Boing Boing team up”

1. scottros says:

Thanks for the slice of history, Mark!

Two footnotes: cool to see Jeanne Carstensen’s role. She found her place first at SFGate, succeeded me as ME at Salon, and is now helping run Bay Citizen.

Also, in 2000, didn’t Kevin end up running your article about blogs that was originally slated to run in Industry Standard — and that spurred you to turn BB into a blog?

Neat circle-closing…

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

Thanks, Scott! Yes, Kevin did run the article I wrote about blogs in the WER. Did you read Kevin’s post here about the BB/CT team-up?

2. Eric Ragle says:

Oooooo I do like me some tool articles. I have to say though, KK is going to need to up his server package if he expects to handle the link traffic from Boing Boing. His site has been up and down since this post.

3. Cool Tools says:

Sadly it seems that people, even those with great taste in websites, are afraid of change. With any luck great submissions and commenters from BBers will convince them otherwise!

I just wanted to say, as editor of Cool Tools, that it’s an honor to partner with a site like Boing Boing and it’s associated readership . I can’t wait to see all the useful tools happy mutants bring to my attention.

4. Cool Tools says:

Woops. That should read “its associated readership.”

5. Chesterfield says:

Mark, are scans of the Boing Boing zine available online? I would love to read them.

6. muteboy says:

I like both Boing Boing and Cool Tools, they’re both in my feeds, so I guess I’ll get stuff twice. This isn’t a problem, because there’s lots of stuff from both sites that I ignore. No-one’s forcing me to read any of it.

Here’s a thought. You know those Rock Family Trees by Pete Frame? Is there a family tree of all these veteran web people like the Boingers and the Wired crew?

(The font for the trees is here: http://www.fontspace.com/frankenfonts/ff-nosebleed)

7. ahaley says:

I love both Boing Boing and Cool Tools, but they are definitely two separate animals with a somewhat disparate user base so I can understand the trepidation. BB is somewhat future thinking and spacey while CT seems to be more practical and grounded. I prefer to welcome to gathering of like minds and to see what happens. Hopefully it will be awesome squared.

8. Mark Crummett says:

Yippee! Two of my fav pubs together again! This should to be good…

9. nerd says:

I had long felt that CT was missing something vital. Was it just riding along on KK’s name? Hard to say, but hopefully this partnership will help it turn whatever corner it needed to.

10. Another Dave says:

40!!!! YEARS!!!!!—ago..omg…
    i was getting China Reconstructs at the time and
    sent my copy of Whole Earth Catalog to the return
    address on the magazine wrapper in China.i often wondered
    if it even made to over there.the guy at the post office
    wanted to know if the big envelope was full of letters and i said one magazine and off it went.

11. MrJM says:

“For the second issue, we photocopied 200 copies, which also sold out. It too, sold out.”

Pedantic-Man says, “This is overly redundant!”

12. caseyd says:

excellent – this should be interesting.

13. Chrs says:

Looking forward to it!

why bOING instead of boing, BOING or Boing?

15. Spinkter says:

Cool Tools has long been the bane of my checking account.

16. SamSam says:

Hmmm… the couple of comments at CT about this have not been too positive about potential new BB readers and submitters. I didn’t know the outside opinion of BB was so poor!

I love Cool Tools and read it often. I haven’t been much of an active member, though.

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

Those commenters at Cool Tools don’t know what they are talking about. They were probably banned from Boing Boing for unseemly behavior and are now lashing out.

I have been a Cool Tools reader (and submitter!) for many, many years now. I got no problems with bOINGers dropping in.

But you should know this: The site’s been hacked at least twice, and KK refused to nuke the disks from orbit and start over. So you should have your anti-malware turned to maximum overdrive when you are there!

Mark, maybe you could talk to KK about moving the databases over to a clean, never-been-hacked system?