Leaf-carving: complicated, high-skill kitsch

34 Responses to “Leaf-carving: complicated, high-skill kitsch”

1. Dave Faris says:

They say that the leaf carving is done by hand, with no printing or painting involved. Are you sure? Seems like a trivial thing to do with some sort of screen and mild acid or something.

2. tylerkaraszewski says:

Yeah, it’d obviously be a lot better if the subject matter was infeasible pseudo-victorian steam-powered machines, or video game characters.

• JamesMason says:

Seconding tyler – I find it hard to see a meaningful distinction between this subject matter and naked chicks with monkeys, or anything that is “steampunk”…

And what, *exactly* ,is wrong with airbrushed van-art?

4. Cowicide says:

Unfortunately, most of the subject matter seems to be somewhere on the kitsch scale between sheet-cake inkjet printing and airbrush van-art.

There’s some gems in the bunch like here.

Maybe they all need more skulls and stuff? ;D

5. TheSpaghettiman says:

I once saw a series of leaf carvings of various communist leaders.

6. kib says:

The “making procedures” PDF linked on their page outlines the steps but doesn’t exactly go into great detail. I don’t think I’m giving away any artisan secrets when I reveal that Step 4 is “Carve the leaf”.

7. quitterjunior says:

The gauntlet has been thrown…this leaf shall be shooped (with clever little knives).

8. ZippySpincycle says:

Wow–the headline nails it. Exceptional effort in the service of the exceptionally banal.

9. Shelby Davis says:

Say what? You guys, this is beautiful! I really don’t even see how this qualifies as kitsch. Seriously.

10. porp says:

If you don’t like the Velveteen Rabbit, maybe think of it as an exercise of irony in spending far too much physical dexterity, natural talent, and time in making these – in potentia ephemeral – physical things of no cultural significance.

11. blurgh says:

Sadly, I am no longer able to tell the difference between kitsch and the fine art that boingboing regularly pimps.

12. Andy Rofl says:

It’s interesting that they can so easily mass-produce the same image.

13. Egypt Urnash says:

I just saw a friend’s design for a sheet-cake picture of Peach domming Mario. Is that kitschy or edgey? Does the fact that it’s for a bachelorette party make it more one or the other?

’cause the leaf you chose to highlight is pretty awesome in a Hillary Knight/Arthur Rackham kind of way.

14. Atrum says:

Holy. Freaking. Crap. Who even thinks to do something like that?

• TimDrew says:

Ultra-fine (carved and /or gilded) leaf calligraphy is a long tradition in Islamic art (from Turkey, I think); there’s some amazing stuff out there (the choice of a leaf as the medium resonates with meaning as well- relating to the universal fractal structures living beings carry within them as a microcosm).

In contrast to the subject matter here (mad carving skills aside, of course).

15. ekkia says:

Even worse than the Eiffel Tower made with toothpicks.

• Pantograph says:

You know, for a second I thought that it was a portrait of Pee Wee Herman. Then I realized why they put the Obama picture next to it.

16. Lobster says:

There are a great many people who are creative but unskilled. There are a great many people who are skilled but uncreative. There are precious few who are both creative and skilled, and they’re the people we tend to hear about.

• Cowicide says:

And sometimes we hear about these leaf carvers.

17. isaacb2 says:

I’ve been cutting up comic books for my papercutting art and showing all over SoCal, and I can’t get picked up here… but someone starts cutting bunnies into leaves and that shows up here? Sigh. All I want is to be loved.

Kitsch? I beg to differ. The Velveteen Rabbit is a deeply beloved classic.

19. Chrs says:

Man, they do have some not-so-excellent stuff. Recommendation: Needs More Frazetta.