Brain surgery through the eye socket

24 Responses to “Brain surgery through the eye socket”

1. snakedart says:

The kind of procedure you might want your doctor to describe for you afterwards. “Trust me, kid — if I tell you how we do it, you won’t agree to have it done.”

2. Steve Stair says:

I’ll wait until they perfect the “cranial screwtop method” of brain surgery.

3. AT203 says:

I met a brain surgeon who’s specialty is operating on the brain through the groin. No seriously.

“By performing surgery through the eye socket, we … eliminate the large ear-to-ear scar associated with major brain surgery”

He makes it sound like a large ear-to-ear scar is a BAD thing!

5. TooGoodToCheck says:

My first reaction is definitely ewwwww. But when you compare this to having part of your skull removed, it starts to look pretty good by comparison.

Paging Dr. Freeman…. is Doctor Walter Freeman in the house?

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.”

—Attributed to W.C.Fields

8. efergus3 says:

Very odd that this showed up yesterday. http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2010-09-28/index.html

By the by, the comic panel is from a true crime comic by Jack Cole, reproduced in whole in “Jack Cole: Forms stretched to their limits”, a biography of the artist by Art Spiegelman

10. warmlogic says:

So glad they’re no longer using icepicks and driving around in Lobotomobiles!

11. Tgg161 says:

U.C.P. (Unicorn chaser, please).

12. gandalf23 says:

Gah! Unicorn! Stat!

13. MrsBug says:

Horr-abulous (Horrible/fabulous). Oy. I could use a fluffy kitty or a kewt puppy right now, please.

14. naty2101 says:

I think that it is very cool that they have discovered
    this new method because this way patients will recuperate
    better and it will also lower a lot of the risk that this operation comes with.

i also believe that it will be easier for Doctors to use
    this new method and it make it possible for many patients
    that could not use the previous method to have this new way
    to have the operation done.

15. tmccartney says:

Thanks for the instant migraine.

16. Donald Petersen says:

I also wanted the chance to post this great comic panel

I’m with the above posters. This may be the most subjective usage of the words “great” and “comic” I’ve seen all week. Puts me right off my Taco Bell.

No unicorns for me, though. I’ll just scroll on down to the smoking bat-winged Pegasus and I’ll be right as rain!

17. GaryG says:

Didn’t Sean Connery nearly get one in… some 60s film?

Just remember the scene where the doctor is demonstarting the procedure on a dummy and the eye pops out as he inserts the instrument…

This isn’t exactly new, and the comic is a reference to its prior use: the Trans-orbital Lobotomy. Rather than cutting open someone’s head, you could perform a lobotomy by sticking an ice pick thru the back of the eye. It was performed often enough to make you cringe. The particular comic is a reference to a famous death from a botched lobotomy. Check the PBS website for the special “The Lobotomist” for the details, or check your local wikipedia or library.

19. cinemajay says:

Considering the nature of the image, maybe a unicorn isn’t the best choice.

Hello Kitty chaser maybe?

You know, I kinda expected the folks on boing-boing would recognize one of the most famous comic book panels EVAH! (At least in the context of censorship and comic books)

Jeesum, get with the wikipedia folks.

– Check out footnote 1

Also, see here, about half-way down.

21. yri says:

This ain’t new; as warmlogic’s link points out, it’s how lobotomies were done back in the day. Ewww!