Wire anti-thumbsucking implement for infants

25 Responses to “Wire anti-thumbsucking implement for infants”

1. 3lbFlax says:

As with most everything, this brings to mind Robert Anton Wilson’s ever-more-relevant Thirteen Choruses for the Divine Marquis:

Specifically the seventh, I suppose.

Struwwelpeter has surely been discussed on BB many times. Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol draws heavily on several of the stories, particularly early on and specifically Little Suck-a-Thumb, which is enough to give anyone nightmares. See also the album Shockheaded Peter by The Tiger Lillies.

2. thequickbrownfox says:

Like the movie I mentioned, they would these days pump serotonin inhibitors into the kid.

Remember reading about the young Mick Fleetwood, he payed no attention at school – tapped out rhythms during class, with pens, pencils….etc on his schooldesk. Can just see him being sent to the doctor if he were a schoolboy today.

3. coop says:

A taste of the Tiger Lillies performance can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOVSp-fYUQc

We get into the thumb sucking about halfway through. ;-)

coop

4. Dr.Gee says:

how do you plug it in?

________________________________________
    This device seems horrific. There are many ways to help stop thumb sucking but always remember to do it in a positive way and never shame a child. Thumb sucking can cause the teeth to be pushed forward and the palate of the mouth to raise, therefore changing the structure of the mouth and can even lead to speech problems…and possibly lead to braces. Talk to your dentist on the repercussions of thumb sucking. There are some simple things you can do to break the thumb sucking habit. A natural remedy is to use lemon juice on the thumb, but if your child is smart, they can wash it off. There is a fun product that kids love to help stop thumbsucking called “Thumbuddy To Love” (http://www.thumbuddytolove.com) that you can google or get on Amazon. Remember to always use praise for the little accomplishments!

7. Paul Turnbull says:

Both my kids sucked their thumbs, we ignored it, they stopped on their own by the time they were five. Our understanding was that it’s not a problem for infants and actually helps the first teeth come properly by strengthening the jaw. After five years old it can be a problem for the teeth coming in but if left on their own most kids stop well before then.

• RedSun says:

“If left to their own” being the crucial concept, here. :p
      Naturally I would not abide by someone locking up my thumb with (assumably) ungalvanized metal or, much less, galvanized metal.
      But I wish my parents had done something. I used to do that when I was a kid and I had a pair of buck teeth that would send me home crying from school when I was a child. As we know, kids are cruel. It would have also stopped me from years of pain from braces and other dental/torture devices. You think this thing looks bad when you jam it on your thumb? Try wearing tight-fitting headgear for one day.

8. Stefan Jones says:

Easily converted to an anti-masturbation guard once the horrific dangers of thumb sucking are dealt with.

Guard Mfg. Co. Scarring young psyches since 1897

9. Xenu says:

Hell, why not just put a little pair of handcuffs on your baby?

10. aeon says:

In a similar vein they sell cayenne pepper and chilli solutions to soak into blankie…

11. hhex65 says:

Where’s the barbed wire model?

12. paulj says:

Clearly, they wanted to prevent a future in which thumb sucking leads to deliriously over-the-top and NSFW Nick Cave videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgm2xLjMxjk

I am a 53 year-old man and still suck my thumb. I did it through 4 years in the military and 4 more in a college dorm. Got more crap about it in the dorm. It is relaxing and comforting. I have a slight overbite but no other ill-effects.

14. pencilbox says:

soak his thumb in iodine, you might get by without the othodonture, but it won’t knock a thing off the university.

15. nixiebunny says:

Looks like the cork retainer from a bottle of champagne.

16. rebdav says:

why put a painful wire on baby thumb when reading him “Die Geschichte vom Daumenlutscher” every night should scare him straight… or gay.. or lifelong sub to scary tailors. I saw this creepy book in a stack of old world kids books from my German-Jewish grandparents who immigrated to the US in the late 19th and early 20th century. From talking to other yekke (German-Jewish) friends most of them have seen this in family chests once they were older, kind of an old world joke at that point, but I think it was common for all German kids of the time.

17. rebdav says:

found the story, public domain expired copyright
    My favorite is the story about playing matches where the cats cry.

• Narmitaj says:

@ rebdav re Struwwelpeter, the book in which the thumbsucker story and others appeared: I remember that book, an ancient one my great aunts had when I was a kid. I am not sure where it went or even if it was in German or English but its fabulously gory illustrations were memorable.

It’s available in English in a modern edition at a decent price.

18. thequickbrownfox says:

Great movie (200) Thumbsucker

19. thequickbrownfox says:

Should read (2005).

I had my arm put in plaster to stop me sucking it, and had to later wear a thumbsucking plate with wire prongs to stab my thumb if I sucked it. I’m an adult now and I still sometimes suck my thumb. I may even be sucking it right now ;p

21. Thad E Ginataom says:

My parents painted this stuff on my finger nails to stop me biting them. I liked the taste.

Fifty years on, and I still bite my finger nails

22. knoxblox says:

I sucked my thumb until I was eight, but I know I would have quit much sooner had my family not made such a fuss about it.