Portable lighthouse keeper libraries of yesteryear

15 Responses to “Portable lighthouse keeper libraries of yesteryear”

Minot’s Ledge, aka Lover’s Light flashes 1 4 3…

There’s a scene in the educational film that they show at Split Rock Lighthouse where the inspector from the lighthouse service delivers a portable library, and he and the keeper’s daughter speed-recite Longfellow’s Song of Hiawatha. I guess the scene is meant to show that lighthouse keepers were well read.

3. TheMadLibrarian says:

As a librarian and amateur Maker, DO WANT.

How many lighthouse keepers took advantage of this library, I wonder?

5. Donald Petersen says:

This is the sort of thing that all-by-itself can romanticize the nineteenth century. I am thoroughly charmed. And you know the guy whose job it was to keep circulating these libraries between the various lighthouses? If he made his rounds by bicycle, he’d be the quintessential Edward Gorey character.

Gonna make me one. The woodworking will be the easy part.

Now stocking the damned thing. *That’s* gonna take some skull sweat!

Such a perfect little thing, I could just cry.

7. Chupacabara says:

Absolutely incredible. This was a highlight of my day. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! This is so awesome. I’d like to find one of those trunks ;)

9. trebonius says:

I took a tour of a lighthouse a year or two ago, and the portable library and its story really stuck with me. I can imagine what a joy it would be to receive such a wandering library after being completely disconnected for so long a stretch.

10. mmbb says:

Heh, let’s see an iPad or Kindle evoke that kind of admiration and respect after 100+ years.

“Great-grandpa, wasn’t a kindle used to start fires?”

Props, Cory, for not calling this “steampunk art” due to the brass plate and iron decoration.

11. turn_self_off says:

Makes me think of luggage trunks.

does anyone know where I might be able to buy one? Brilliant find Corey! :)

I took a tour of the Piedras Blancas lighthouse (near Hearst Castle) and the guide mentioned that the families living there loved these libraries and really looked forward to a new shipment of books when their supplies were delivered about twice a year. Piedras Blancas was in such a remote area and the only recreation was provided by the books.

This would be an excellent item for recreation by a skilled woodworker. I’d want one, althoguh affording it would be iffy!

15. dr.hypercube says:

I want plans for that case!!!!!!!! (I’m nowhere near good enough at woodworking to re-create from the pics.)