14 Responses to “Norwegian musicians' income goes up by 66% 1999-2009, while record sales decline by 50%”

1. scolbath says:

The message that artists seem to be taking away is that regardless of marketing, the Norwegian taxpayer will help their standard of living. They are helping out to the tune of $25m USD/year, according to the report. That’s a quarter of the concert revenue, which is $100M dollars.

2. MustWarnOthers says:

I’m a record exec with an overinflated sense of self worth and a shitty, archaic business model and what is this?

Oh no! Someone has to work hard to earn millions?!?

4. scaught says:

Hmm It pays to burn down churches. Death to false black metal!

And what was the last monster Norwegian hit you listened to?

What they don’t tell you is they don’t really get compensated in kroner. They get paid in Lutefisk

6. Unmutual says:

Honestly I’d wager it has a lot more to do with the higher quality of life in Norway and that people have more disposable income over there.

After I pay rent, utilities, food, and childcare, you think I have 15 bucks to piss away on a Compact Disc?

Or a hundred bucks to go to a concert?

The idea that if you stop music pirating people will just go back to paying for music is absurd . . . people stopped paying for music when they stopped having money!

• Anonymous says:

Uhh Norway isn’t exactly known for its low cost of living…

• Anonymous says:

Norwegian music is largely an export commodity so the issue of the level of disposable income in Norway is moot.

• g.park says:

$100 for a show? Seriously? I guarantee you there’s an awesome band who’s driving through your town tonight who will play a show in your basement tonight in exchange for a plate of food and some floor to sleep on.

• Suds says:

Dude, you’re throwing a basement show tonight?! I’ll give you 5 bucks to let me in. Oh, and 5 for the band. I’ll probably want to buy some beer from you too (plus tip). Will they have shirts to prove I was there and heard the band before they “sold out”? I heard about the show, so I downloaded some of their stuff, big fan!

/New business model

@Unmutual

Norway is exceptionally expensive even by western European standards (most expensive country I can think of actually) and its citizens are very heavily taxed. Good quality of life perhaps but they don’t have massive amounts of disposable income relative to the most of the rest of the western world.

Quite a few people don’t spend money on CDs but spend them on gigs. Including myself, I’ve bought a grand total of three CDs in the last year but have probably been to around ten gigs.

Also, $100 gigs? The usual range for the gigs I go to is £10-20, which works out at maybe $15-30 (roughly, maybe slightly more), the most expensive one I ever considered going to was £40, which is around $50. I doubt that gigs in America are twice the price as in the UK, given that the USA’s usually a much cheaper country than pretty much anywhere in western Europe.