Grant Morrison on the Big Screen

12 Responses to “Grant Morrison on the Big Screen”

1. EricT says:

I think the works of GM are shallow or deep in accordance with the amount of effort you’re willing to put into them. Yes, the Invisibles falls apart at the end, but there are moments of radiant pathos and obscene transcendence in The Filth and Doom Patrol that most of us, in our Postmodern torpor, normally don’t get an opportunity to experience. I really think there is something to GM’s proposition that he’s trying to cure us with our own intellectual disease. He’s a magician in the best sense of the term, a person who’s trying to hack reality, reprogram consciousness to make it run better. I don’t mean to portray him as a messianic figure. I suppose the best that can be said of him is that he’s making an attempt to surf the wave that’s drowning everything else.

Thanks for posting this- never would have heard about it otherwise. Saw it at the Roxie last night and found it very entertaining and, in my opinion, not terribly biased.

3. valis says:

I’ve noticed a strange pattern in the people that make the art I love the most.

Philip K. Dick had the VALIS experience. Robert Anton Wilson maybe had communication with something/one from Sirius. Morrison had his strange hash induced rooftop experience in Nepal (well, somewhere near Nepal I think). Then Dick is talked about in Wilson’s work a lot. RAW is mentioned in VALIS. They are both heavily referenced in the Invisibles. Etc, etc.

Somehow I need to work Alan Moore seeing John Constantine in a bar into my theory here…..

4. salsaman says:

I had no idea!
    btw was the middle paragraph copied from Amazon, or did you write the product description for Amazon?

5. arikol says:

I’ve seen him speaking and chilled at a café afterwards and he is weird beyond belief. Truly and properly mad (or visionary), but in such a wonderfully interesting way that, as Rushkoff says above, it’s easy to get along with him even though he is a (strange) true believer.

OTOH i was never sure when he was joking and when he was being serious.

I LOVE Morrison’s work. That is pure and mad genius, just like the creator.

6. diamantiferous says:

Oh my GOODNESS. I cannot miss this. Thank you BB for always being on point.

(Full disclosure: I considered studying abroad in Edinburgh just to stalk GM aka King Mob if King Mob were real. Sigh.)

7. Tetsuoooooooooo says:

Machine elves? Sounds like he’s a DMT user.

• Anonymous says:

Everyone is a DMT user. It’s produced by the pineal gland naturally.

• Ambiguity says:

Everyone is a DMT user. It’s produced by the pineal gland naturally.

’tis not. Or perhaps I should say: could be, but no one knows. The DMT/Pineal thing is just speculation. (I even heard Rick Strassman — who was one of the ones who really kicked the speculation off — say as much a few weeks ago at a movie screening.)

8. Gendun says:

Thanks for the head’s up, Douglas – “The Invisibles” is hands down the best comic book series I’ve ever read.

@Tetsuoooooooooooo: Check out the aforementioned “The Invisibles” — DMT and ayahuasca play a vital role.

Thanks for posting this! Going to the Boston one tonight as a result.

Morrison has been coasting on his reputation since JLA. His stuff used to be fascinatingly complex, now it’s just incomprehensible for no reason, weird for the sake of weird.