As the Chilean Miner telenovela continues today, with mining company execs and politicians now transforming a barely-averted catastrophe into a publicity stunt: here's timely look back at some mid-century American mining industry propaganda in the form of a weird comic book unearthed by Ethan Persoff.
"With an environmental message!," says Ethan— "Specifically how strip mines are good for clearing landscape of pesky earth to make way for park benches and manufactured fishing (check out the very funny Sportsman's paradise joke on page 11).
Comics with Problems #41: "New Uses for Good Earth" (or, Ethan's title, "Gee Dad, can they flatten our mountaintop, TOO?")
- Ethan Persoff's heavily embellished mixtape: Live at Harry's Loft ...
- Ethan Persoff's coverage of the Democratic National Convention ...
- If an A-Bomb Falls
- Bush-McCain "Tijuana Bibles" at DNC
- NAACP comic from early 1960s
- US Army "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" instructional comic on gays in ...
- Comics with Problems: "Captain Awareness"
- Creepy public service comic book about bike safety (1972) - Boing ...
- Don't bruise that pig! Retro pork-o-ganda comics.
- George Wallace pro-segregration comic from 1960, Alabama
Boing Boing editor/partner and tech culture journalist Xeni Jardin hosts and produces Boing Boing's in-flight TV channel on Virgin America airlines (#10 on the dial), and writes about living with breast cancer. Diagnosed in 2011. @xeni on Twitter. email: email@example.com.