Pink Noise: hard-sf novella about the strange battles of the posthuman

26 Responses to “Pink Noise: hard-sf novella about the strange battles of the posthuman”

1. simonbarsinister says:

If you want to read a disturbing tale of what post-humans might be like, read Paolo Bacigalupi’s “People of Sand and Slag”.

Free read here: http://windupstories.com/pumpsix/the-people-of-sand-and-slag/

2. Loren Reed says:

Well, I think I think the cover is cool. And I intend to buy this book.

3. ultranaut says:

Am I missing something? The pink lettering is wrong, but otherwise it seems like a fine cover.

Has any book cover art in the contemporary era come close to surpassing Saturn’s Children as most embarrassing to read in public? I love Stross, but seriously, that cover cost him sales.

4. spool32 says:

epub would be nice. As it is, I’ll have the dead tree version on my Amazon wishlist until i get round to it…

5. jjasper says:

It’s a tall order: creating believably nonhuman post-people means that you necessarily give up on a certain amount of empathy and sympathy for your characters who are, by definition, doing things whose motivations we can’t purely understand.

I don’t see this as *necessarily* true. Perhaps a post-person would have superior empathy, like a Bodhisattva, and be someone who exemplified our most noble traits. My point is, we can’t know for sure what it would be like until we see one. Speculation is cool and fun, but that’s all it is.

6. pghslate says:

I would buy a copy right now if it were available in the epub format.

7. Simon_Drax says:

Intensely intrigued! But the cover is awful! If the cover is any indication, guess Cory’s on target with his assessment of the interior illustrations. But I am intrigued!!!

8. happenchance says:

Sounds like an interesting tale… however, that book cover is hideous! If I saw this in a bookstore, I’d totally think it was a story about cyborg rock stars from a Motley Crue ruled future. Who designs these things?!

9. arkizzle / Moderator says:

Somewhere, one warm, lonely tear runs down a cover designer’s cheek.

10. sing it, baby says:

Can check post-human people check their email during sex?

11. frogworth says:

“We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address.”

Given that there’s no way there’d be an Australian publication of this novel, why are Amazong doing this shit? Bah.

For the post-humans, there is no meaningful distinction between email and sex.

13. frogworth says:

Dear Leo,
    That’s incredibly kind of you and I’ll work out how to PayPal you or something for it! Emailing you now…

14. Leo Korogodski says:

The eBook version is out. Enjoy!

15. JonStewartMill says:

And somewhere, David R. Bunch is smiling.

Has made the SF site top 10 reads of 2010 – http://www.sfsite.com/columns/best11.htm

17. Leo Korogodski says:

Hi, everyone! I am the book’s author. Cory, many thanks for the review!

To the poster #1: An ebook version is coming as soon as the first hardcover print run is close to being sold out. Which is hopefully soon, as only 3000 copies have been printed so far.

18. mycophage says:

Wow. Worst cover, in the sense of “most embarrassing to read in public,” since Stross’s “Saturn’s Children.” I know that writers rarely have control over cover art, so I’m not blaming Korogodski – just feeling sympathy (and a mild burning on my retinas).

19. Leo Korogodski says:

Btw, a PDF sample is available at pinknoise.net

• pghslate says:

Thanks! I’m loving the PDF preview. I’ll keep an eye out for for the ebook/epub version; I hate wasting all that paper.

20. stuhfoo says:

80s science fiction book cover anyone? I thought the review would be about rediscovering an old read.

21. Ponobill says:

You folks are joking about the cover, eh? Most SF has covers that beg for a beige slipcover.

22. Gregory Bloom says:

Not available on the Nook. Too bad.