Scary Godmother: delightful, spooky graphic storybook for kids

By Cory Doctorow

Jill Thompson's beloved Scary Godmother stories are collected in a new delightful volume from Dark Horse. They relate the adventures of little Hannah Marie, a big-eyed, adorable moppet, and her friends from the "other side" -- the Scary Godmother, and all the monsters, skeletons and vampires and such she keeps company with. Hannah Marie meets them all when her rotten cousin Jimmy sends her into a spooky house on Hallowe'en in a cruel prank that backfires on him. Hannah Marie makes fast friends with all the ghoulies and haints, and in a series of short, comical adventures, she rescues Hallowe'en, helps crash a haunted tea party, and sets up the Scary Godmother with half the monsters in spook-land.

These are just the right length to read as bedtime stories, and they're full of clever rhymes that make for great read-aloud material. The monsters are decidedly the good guys, and their capers are totally harmless and often hilarious. Better than that is Thompson's wonderful artwork -- super-saturated, crazy-angled monsters and creeps and kids that are gonzo and charming at the same time. It's some of the most fun kids' stuff I've seen in a long time, and it's going to be Poesy's bedtime story tonight -- she'll love it.

I haven't seen the animated special adapted from the books, but Thompson's included some of the art from the series and it's quite wonderful

Scary Godmother

Published 6:14 am Wed, Oct 20, 2010

About the Author

I write books. My latest are: a YA graphic novel called In Real Life (with Jen Wang); a nonfiction book about the arts and the Internet called Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age (with introductions by Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer) and a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

8 Responses to “Scary Godmother: delightful, spooky graphic storybook for kids”

1. Rich Keller says:

I saw the animated version a few years ago on cable. It was a riot and very charming. And I didn’t know that it was based on books.

2. edgore says:

Wow – 192 pages! If this collects that much of Jill’s work (it seems like it’s probably all of the existing color hardcovers and additional material) it’s an AMAZING deal. If it also collects the black and white comics (the Valentine special, etc), then it’s the most amazing deal IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

I am reminded of the racing witches from Bette Midler’s Mondo Beyondo

4. ztifhael says:

I have both specials on DVD (the second is The Revenge of Jimmy). They’re great – done by the same team who did Reboot.

And I echo the deal – awesome. I have the first hardcover Scary Godmother (and all three Magic Trixie books). Now I need this paperback!

5. unit_1421 says:

Jill’s been an icon of the fandom scene for over 15 years, you guys are just discovering her now???!?

If you enjoyed the Scary Godmother collection, I would heartily recommend Jill’s ongoing series of graphic novels for young people. Magic Trixie is a little witch with plenty of spooky friends, and a penchant for getting into “trouble”. They are cute, smart, and probably comprise some of Jill’s most polished work. Our loves them all, and has watched the television specials (there was a sequel to the first, if you can find it). I’m pretty fond of them myself.

7. sam1148 says:

Way to late for the comments here.

I just saw the animated show.

One thing that really took me about. Was the character of the skeleton. Who was portrayed as a limp wristed gay person. With overblown emotions and worst of all his wrist action.

I thought we had gotten over ‘stereotypical lisping limp wristed gay person’ as a comedy device— they even included a comment “Every Family has a skeleton in their closet”

Seriously? A gay skeleton that lives in the ‘closet’.

Geeeze.