Scary Godmother: delightful, spooky graphic storybook for kids

8 Responses to “Scary Godmother: delightful, spooky graphic storybook for kids”

1. Rich Keller says:

I saw the animated version a few years ago on cable. It was a riot and very charming. And I didn’t know that it was based on books.

2. edgore says:

Wow – 192 pages! If this collects that much of Jill’s work (it seems like it’s probably all of the existing color hardcovers and additional material) it’s an AMAZING deal. If it also collects the black and white comics (the Valentine special, etc), then it’s the most amazing deal IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

3. sam1148 says:

Way to late for the comments here.

I just saw the animated show.

One thing that really took me about. Was the character of the skeleton. Who was portrayed as a limp wristed gay person. With overblown emotions and worst of all his wrist action.

I thought we had gotten over ‘stereotypical lisping limp wristed gay person’ as a comedy device— they even included a comment “Every Family has a skeleton in their closet”

Seriously? A gay skeleton that lives in the ‘closet’.

Geeeze.

I am reminded of the racing witches from Bette Midler’s Mondo Beyondo

5. ztifhael says:

I have both specials on DVD (the second is The Revenge of Jimmy). They’re great – done by the same team who did Reboot.

And I echo the deal – awesome. I have the first hardcover Scary Godmother (and all three Magic Trixie books). Now I need this paperback!

6. unit_1421 says:

Jill’s been an icon of the fandom scene for over 15 years, you guys are just discovering her now???!?

If you enjoyed the Scary Godmother collection, I would heartily recommend Jill’s ongoing series of graphic novels for young people. Magic Trixie is a little witch with plenty of spooky friends, and a penchant for getting into “trouble”. They are cute, smart, and probably comprise some of Jill’s most polished work. Our loves them all, and has watched the television specials (there was a sequel to the first, if you can find it). I’m pretty fond of them myself.