Weird, adorable Cirrate octopus swims through the ocean

19 Responses to “Weird, adorable Cirrate octopus swims through the ocean”

1. grikdog says:

Don’t squids have internal supporting boney structures, like cuttlefish? Octopoda do not.

2. Josh P says:

Even though i saw the ‘C’ (and ignored the extra ‘r’) I had never heard of Cirrate octopuses and was a teeny bit disappointed not to see an irate octopus.

Nonetheless, a beautiful video.

3. SamSam says:

I love that you first look at the fins and see them for what they are, fins, and then you see the location of the eyes, and finally recognize the fins for what they truly are: ridiculous flopping ears.

4. sally599 says:

What makes this an octopus and not a squid—it looks totally squid-like and beautiful.

5. odcarem says:

lovely and soothing video clip; makes me thing of Hayao Miyazaki’s movies.

• Fred H says:

I was going to say Jean Painleve’s films. Now I have to check out Hayao Miyazaki!

• Ito Kagehisa says:

Miyazaki is probably the greatest living animator. You should especially check out My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. Make sure you get the 2005 version of Nausicaä, and not the horribly butchered New World Pictures release.

Not everyone’s cup of tea; if you’re into Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Caligula you will probably not like Miyazaki. His stuff is mostly what the industry likes to call “family friendly”.

6. fm says:

Oooh very pretty!

But… only 15% of octopus species is “very rare”?
    Pigeons make up “only” 3% of bird species(300 pigeon species out of 10,000 bird species, according to wikipedia ;) )

7. Mark Crummett says:

Creepy. Can we go back to bananas, please?

Minor correction: they’re “cirri”, not “cirra”.

9. kaek says:

ZOMG!!! squid-octopi missing link??? Flappy things seem to be morphologically more important than leg count. I refer back to the notion of walks like a duck…

• Anonymous says:

A funny trend in biology is that the more morphologically important something is, the less important it is for classification. This is because whether you have fins or wings is something that is important to survival, so undergoes lots of natural selection, but exactly where the articulations are in bones doesn’t matter, so rarely changes.

Yup-Yup-Yup-Yup
    Uh-huh Uh-huh

11. sally599 says:

OK part of my confusion comes from my very favorite Vampire squid being misidentified as a squid. It looks like they are part of the same group.

12. Dr.Gee says: