The middle class in Africa

10 Responses to “The middle class in Africa”

1. penguinchris says:

Interesting article. I was curious about that myself – you do see what seems like middle-class Africans to us in movies sometimes, like Hotel Rwanda, but by the standard of living there that would be considered very upper-class.

It’s very much like my experience here in Thailand. There is devastating poverty in rural Thailand, but in the cities there is a huge middle class and a very few obscenely rich. Most TV and movies is about the very upper classes (most TV and movies in the US shows the middle or upper-middle class).

2. Lobster says:

It was my understanding that many of these African “cyber cafes” were spam farms.

• Anonymous says:

I can’t speak to all of Africa, but in Ghana, anyway, the vast majority of cyber cafe users are legit folks, just trying to to check out the internets like the rest of us. Very, very few people have internet connections in their homes. In the cities, student and other young people are becoming more computer literate cyber cafes to check emails, social networking sites, etc.

3. Producestand says:

IDK, why in a post trying to dispel the poverty myth, the author would use the term “Africa” when describing where her(his?) parents went. “Africa” is a continent, it makes not sense to treat it like a big homogeneous country.

Other than that, I enjoyed the article.

• Maggie Koerth-Baker says:

Because I don’t remember where they went, specifically. And I think they may have been in more than one country.

• Clayton says:

It’s often helpful to break it down by region. This might require a bit of education on your part. Most people wouldn’t say “my parents just got back from Asia” without specifying a region/section/country. With huge continents that are very problematically presented as monoliths [read: Africa], it’s worth the extra effort.

I had a great time reading the graphic novel series Aya, which is set in late 70s Ivory Coast (highly recommended!). I heard the people there had a very hard time from eighties on with civil wars and political unrest, and have wondered how they are doing these days. It’s great to finally see the people in pictures – it’s admirable how they keep on being resilient and creative in the face of hardships.

5. jimmy2x2x says:

Google translation was excellent:

Error 500 – Internal server error

An unexpected problem occurred.
    Please try again later.

6. Clayton says:

Come to think of it, I don’t see much about the middle class in any continent or country, save for the U.S.

Wonder how much of the appeal of this work for some people relates to the relative irony it has to their stereotypes.

Also, for what it’s worth, the countries profiled are remarkably different from one another, economically and culturally.

• Anonymous says:

@ Clayton. There is a continent of the world called EUROPE and the middle class percentage there is not less than 90%.