9 Responses to “National Gaming Day at your library: US libraries invite patrons to get their game on”

Sweet! My 6 YO daughter and I love playing Halo Reach on the Xbox 360, in between work, school, and life.

I wonder what hardware you need to bring, like controllers, consoles, headsets, etc…LAN parties are AWESOME!

Some of us are older (38 here) educated and well rounded gamers, who seem to be doing just fine during this “recession.”

2. TheMadLibrarian says:

I only wish our libraries here could sponsor something like this. We have a few groups that play Magic and other CCG, but we don’t even loan out software, let alone recent game releases. And if you pull out your D&D 4th edition GM guide, all you get is funny looks.

3. Ant says:

No computer games? :(

• cinemajay says:

Ant, did you miss the part about Super Smash Bros. and Rock Band? I think the bigger missive is that there’s a darn d20 in the logo and no mention of RPGs offered at any of the Game Day events!

4. Jenny Levine says:

I work at the American Library Association and I’m coordinating National Gaming Day, so I just wanted to note that many libraries are offering computer games, online games, D&D, Magic, outdoor games, and pretty much everything else.

It’s up to the individual library to decide which games will be available. If your local library isn’t offering your favorite type of game or title, we encourage you to work with the staff to get it included. Many times, it’s just that the librarians don’t have an expertise in that area, don’t own the game, or don’t have the space to offer everything. One of the goals of this event, though, is to connect librarians and gamers who can help library game programs grow, so we always welcome help from local gamers.

Nobody tell Ray Bradbury.

6. aprilsaur says:

Love it. Now, my nieces and I can geek out in public playing Taluva and get some other people interested in it!

7. merreborn says:

I was interested to learn that the oakland library system carries a bunch of major titles for the latest platforms (e.g. Assassin’s Creed for Xbox360 and PS3)