RIP, Robbins Barstow, godfather of the home movie revival

6 Responses to “RIP, Robbins Barstow, godfather of the home movie revival”

1. ahankinson says:

I used one of his home moves (properly accredited, of course) from the Internet Archive in a mash-up for a class assignment. It was great. What his movies lacked in production quality they made upf for in sheer fun.

2. chizuml says:

The home movies of Mr. Barstow, and his family, showed how beautiful life and family relationships can be, given the right perspective.

They deserve protection in the U.S. National Film Registry, as compared to boatloads of “major” movies that offer no redeeming value.

3. oaklynne says:

I knew Robbins Barstow about 20 years ago in CT. He would talk about whales and their importance to anyone and everyone who would listen. His enthusiasm and dedication to saving the whale – at around age 70 — was as great as someone half his age. He was a lovely man.

I met Robbins at a film archivist conference a couple of years ago and remembered how ecstatic he was that you could see his Tarzan film on a DVD (Living Room Cinema) you could get from Netflix!

I hope to have his energy and enthusiasm in my 80s..

Robbins was a friend of mine at First Church in Wethersfield, CT and I had the pleasure of interviewing him and his wife, Meg, about a year ago as part of a DVD production celebrating that church’s 375th anniversary. His ancestors were ministers at the church and Robbins and Meg told wonderful stories of their long involvement in the church and many of its social activities over the decades. His work in Saving the Whales, as well as his pioneering movie and community television work will be a great legacy.

6. John Hudgens says:

I met Robbins this summer while shooting interviews this summer for a documentary I’m making about fanfilms and fanfilmmakers. Luckily my travel plans brought me near his location, and Robbins was gracious enough to invite me to his house in Connecticut for an interview about his Tarzan films. We shot the interview on his back porch right next to where he used to project the films for the neighborhood, and his wife made cookies for us. It was an honor to meet him, and it was one of the highlights of the interview process. He seemed so full of life then – hard to believe it was only a few months ago.

He will be missed – but I’m glad his films (and through them, Robbins) will live on.