Freaky 1970 bubblecar concept vehicle, then and now

17 Responses to “Freaky 1970 bubblecar concept vehicle, then and now”

1. knoxblox says:

It’s sad to see nice things wind up in the hands of collectors who either unable or don’t know how to care for them.
    I include living beings in this category (exotic pets, race horses, etc.), but sadly, it’s hard to fine for incarcerate someone for junking up a concept car.

• imag says:

And there are also collectors who do exactly the opposite: hermetically seal the thing they are collecting away from any possible enjoyment or use of it. That behavior can be equally disturbing.

2. woid says:

An extreme example of my wife refers to as “a penis car.”

I’m guessing the designer would be very stressed indeed about going through the new TSA x-rays.

3. Bryan C says:

knoxblox, it’s a choice of evils. I’d rather have the car suffer from benign neglect, or shadetree tinkering, than scrapped or cannibalized. Which is sadly exactly what happened to most concept cars.

4. redcreme says:

That’s exactly what a futuristic car is all about! But I can’t see myself using one of those in the future :)

Amazing deal for $75k… Finding a barn-find Colani is an incredible opportunity since as far as I know they’re all sitting in museums, and it’s very rare for them to show up on the market. I’m sure this will end up with the same fate, but it’s nice to fantasize about some Bladerunner fan finishing it off and making their drive to work a sci-fi experience.

6. dculberson says:

I can’t even imagine the story behind this one. This blows me away even more than the Orbitron being found in Tijuana.

7. MadRat says:

Hopefully it’ll get restored like Ed Roth’s Orbitron. http://www.theorbitron.com/

8. ackpht says:

Wow. Major attention-getter, not much use as transportation.

I don’t think the two halves pivot in the middle. I pray they don’t.

Talk about your “cock” pits. Sheesh!!

10. eviladrian says:

I’ll say this for Colani, he never met a machine that he couldn’t make look like a wang.

11. Jared says:

Its current state reminds me of the sort of ‘distressed futuristic’ look that George Lucas was going for in the original Star Wars trilogy. Somebody should Photoshop some covetous Jawas into that image.

“drone chute”? i think you mean “drogue chute”. seems to be a common mistake (i made it myself not all that long ago) — at 500 google hits vs 20k, i’m inclined to believe “drone chute” is a term used to describe a subset of drogue uses, generally by people unfamiliar with the real term.

13. emptyshirt says:

Is it drone chute or drogue chute? I’m more familiar with the latter. Are they the same/similar/different?

14. narrowstreetsLA says: