America's last non-profit feminist bookstore in Portland, OR fundraiser

7 Responses to “America's last non-profit feminist bookstore in Portland, OR fundraiser”

We are not the last one by any stretch. There is also Women and Children First among others. Ones in NYC and Toronto (I believe) have recently closed, so they are more than endangered! I think there are about 35 left in the U.S. from maybe 150 pre-amazon.com times. But we are indeed the only one that is a non-profit.
    Amber- Co-Director of In Other Words

p.s. thanks to Boing Boing for posting this!

Maybe the last non-profit, but not the only independent, feminist bookstore out there. Take, for instance, Amazon Bookstore Cooperative, Inc., the oldest independent feminist bookstore in North America located in Minneapolis and online http://www.truecolorsbookstore.com/

3. querent says:

Best of luck! Hope it pulls through.

I was a volunteer at Left Hand Books in Boulder while I lived in Colorado, and potential financial insolvency always loomed. It would be a damn, damn shame to lose places like this.

In Other Words is my favorite bookstore in Portland!

How about The Big Idea in Pittsburgh? Not *solely* feminist, but feminism certainly falls under their umbrella of a volunteer-run, “women-positive,” “queer-positive,” radical bookstore.

I mean, kudos to IOW for being around so long, I wish them the best of luck, but it seems a bit of a stretch to call yourself the last remaining anything at this point. I’d bet most reasonably sized communities boast something similar if not identical tucked away somewhere.

From The Big Idea’s website:

“We are a volunteer-run, not-for-profit, non-capitalist establishment.”

Not quite!