13 Responses to “Intel commissions futuristic stories for internal planning, gives away ebooks and podcasts”

1. Douglas Rushkoff says:

They do have some non-chip-focused labs, actually, doing some simple nano, robotics, and network logic stuff.

2. Stjohn says:

That’s what I thought too. I hope it turns out better than the original scenario. A lot can happen in 150 years.

And here I was hoping we were finally getting ready for repopulating the earth after the coming apocalypse.

4. ElfSternberg says:

Man, I played The Morrow Project all the time in college. “Dow Chemical doesn’t care that napalm sticks to MARS.” “Well, Damoclese says that conquering Australia would be a really bad idea.”

Needless to say, it became a very high-powered game. We actually achieved orbit.

• Jonathan Badger says:

Yeah. The Morrow Project was great. So much better than TSR’s Gamma World, which is probably much more famous. No stupid talking plants and the like in TMP.

5. Propnomicon says:

Wait, Intel is putting teams in coldsleep to rebuild civilization after the apocalypse?

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morrow_Project)

6. Matt Staggs says:

Came for role-playing references, leaving satisfied.

7. shannigans says:

Hmmm… having worked in Intel’s CTG and having access to their full portfolio of projects, I can say unfailingly that they’re not pushing any future technology envelopes over there. It’s very much a focused push on incremental increases and maintaining Moore’s law. From a business perspective it’s a good, at least short term, move but it’s certainly not science fiction camp.

It was always disheartening when I’d hear about Icap or NTG buying companies who were working on actual futuristic and cool technologies because one of Intel’s greatest skills is failing at great ideas that are too far from the wafer.

That fireplace behind him does look pretty slick though.

8. Flying_Monkey says:

I couldn’t watch the video because that Intel guy looks too much like some scary manchild clone. Did they make him as part of the project?

Two thunbs up for The (original and still the best) Morrow Project BTW.

@Flying_Monkey – maybe the girls should say what they think about how he looks :-) Good stories! Audio files too!

Greetings,
    I thought the Morrow Project was a decades old role playing game!
    I wonder if Intel knows the past….