German Pirate Party members strip off for Berlin airport scanner protest

25 Responses to “German Pirate Party members strip off for Berlin airport scanner protest”

1. cunningamphibian says:

here’s another video of the protest (which was in january, btw) which works in germany:

2. cunningamphibian says:

and here’s another one which even shows helpful and sympathetic policemen…

“This video is not available in your country.”

Being not only in Germany, but even in Berlin! And I even have seen Goldfrapp live (which wasn’t entirely unboring), so I should be personally entitled to watch this! Now!

When in Germany, do as the Germans do…

4. rotundo says:

Censorship works great in Germany! I had to go through a US-based proxy to be allowed to watch this :-)

Man, when are Americans going to have the balls to stand up our rights the way the Germans do? Get with it Yanks!

So wait, they have the scanners in Germany too?

7. Emo Pinata says:

I never understand the “they could hide it inside their body” comments so long as they can bring 3 oz tubes of chemicals on a plane with them.

8. wygit says:

It isn’t just Germany… something’s messed up.
    In California, I tried to play it from the BoingBoing rss feed in Google Reader and got this:

This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is restricted from playback on certain cites.
    Watch on YouTube.

But it works fine from both the BoingBoing embed and Youtube, so a Youtube video is being restricted from playing via Google?

I’d like to see everyone make LOUD MOANING SOUNDS when the TSA perverts start their reach arounds.

10. rebdav says:

Hate to be the science/radio dork here on a political/rights story, the story says high frequency radio waves. High frequency is by itself a technical term and means 3-30mhz (roughly 90-10 meter wavelength) what we also call shortwave radio freqs. These scanners use millimeter wavelength microwaves; they are technically bestcalled EHF or extremely high frequency radio waves. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Extremely_high_frequency

Our naming convention initially comes form the turn of the century through the 20′s when there were actually mechanically oscillated radio transmitters in use and shortwave was exotic compared to the more normal medium frequency AM broadcast band.

11. Guesstimate Jones says:

It’s quite sensible…until everybody is naked, for the duration of the flight, how can we be certain, that nobody is harboring some sort of ill intent?

I don’t have a problem with people seeing me naked…I just don’t want to be irradiated, or groped…

12. Guesstimate Jones says:

I intend to boycott air travel, until nudity is mandatory…

13. blueelm says:

Leave it to the freaking Germans.

This was well executed!

It says, “Dieses Video ist in deinem Land nicht verfügbar” (i.e. Video not available in your country).

I’m in Germany. A video by the German Pirate Party, made in Berlin, Germany, is not available in Germany.

“This video is not available in your country.”

I’m in Germany. WTF, Youtube?

Funny thing is… its allready unavailable from Germany!!

17. gwynsen says:

“This video is not available in your country.”…
    get lost youtube! I am in germany…

• Anonymous says:

I guess there’s a lot of us in Deutschland then?

I think maybe I’ll go protest vs. Youtube at Tempelhof right now, with clothes. Anyone?

18. Pixelmatsch says:

Whipped out my trusty American VPN to see why we are not allowed to watch it in Germany. It’s that old recording rights bullshit again: the uploader decided to use Goldfrapp in the audio track; apparently their tracks are “protected” by the hellspawn that is GEMA.

cory, could boingboing editors please always provide a text link to the youtube page when linking to videos? this way readers from d’oh-land can copy and paste the link and go to proxy services like hidemyass.com to watch the video.

having a link in the article saves a lot of hassle, because the page saying “fsck off, viewer” doesn’t have the video id in the url. you’d have to search for the video title and c-n-p it from the search results.

but hey – if we’d all use tor, this would be just a matter of statistics…

.~.

20. DeWynken says:

Las Die Hosen Runter!

That is my new battlecry.

In my opinion this scanners goes against our privacy is same to go to the airport with naked body . I know this is for security but really is necesary the use of this machines is necesary that other people look your body is your body is something privacy , any way I can’t fell confortable with this for me it is a disrespect and I know that everybody isn’t agree with me because not for everyone the body is important and privacy with is for me.