Wunderkammerer front room crammed with nooks

19 Responses to “Wunderkammerer front room crammed with nooks”

What’s with all those damn empty bookshelves? I’ve got more crap than I have shelf space, and here they are wasting it on clean lines or some Nordic bs like that? Wunderkammerers my arse.

As a mother-tongued German speaker, I have to comment that the “Wunderkammerer” would be the comparative form of “Wunderkammer”, like “more Wunderkammer” – which obviously officially does not exist, since “Wunderkammer” is a noun and not an adjective.

Not being a language nazi (check the embassy leaks, you won’t find me listed in the “Langüage Nazi” spreadsheet there, which is proof I _really_ am no language nazi), I must say that “Wunderkammerer” fits that particular room perfectly, being the Ãœber-Wunderkammer by all means.

3. triscuit says:

A total PITA to dust, methinks.

The entryway looks neat, but the rest of the house is “meh.”

Attention modern designers: THERE ARE OTHER COLOURS THEN WHITE. PLEASE USE THEM.

No need to worry about dusting – the help does that.

Funny — I was reading Gibson’s Zero History just this morning and came across that phrase — wunderkammer — and decided, from the context, it was German for “wonder-[something].”

7. Attack Hamster says:

Scandinavian art school monstrosities. I hate ‘em. This is more like it:

8. Zora says:

The designers either hire someone to clean and dust, or they never dust and haven’t yet developed asthma.

9. Laetitia B. says:

And just a few weeks ago you guys were all about owning no more than 100 items total. What happened???

10. Jake0748 says:

yeah yeah, crammed with nooks, but where are the crannies?

11. tyger11 says:

“Wunderkammer,” for those who don’t speak German, or who aren’t hipster know-it-alls, means “Wonder Room”, or a “cabinet of curiosities,” according to this Wikipedia entry:

Cory, I love ya man, but this former reporter suggests you define obscure terms.

• Anonymous says:

Don’t you think that the few boingboing readers illiterate enough to not know the term (or be able to puzzle it out) can’t find their way to Google?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

If you type ‘wunderkammer’ into the search box, you’ll see that it’s in regular use here. And if you’re not a hipster know-it-all, how did you end up here anyway?

Wunderkammer – no need for the extra “er”

This is already shaping up to be The Thread That Defined BoingBoing For All Time.

14. St_Mediocrity says:

Oddly, this looks almost exaxtly like how I imagined Art’s bookcases.