published details of the Wikileaks' diplomatic cable cache early, the New York Times
has also gone live with some coverage. It reports that the documents amount to a 'huge sampling' of daily traffic between the U.S. State Department and embassies abroad. Among the revelations:
• There is a secret standoff with Pakistan
over highly enriched uranium, which the U.S. fears could be 'diverted' to build 'illicit' nuclear weapons.
• There's a plan for unifying Korea
after the North collapses, and China's in on it.
• Guantanamo Bay's closure is mired in shifty cash deals
with foreign governments to take prisoners. Also, the Afghan government is corrupt
, plus ca change.
• Hacking! The Chinese government has owned Google
, the Dalai Lama, "American businesses," and more!
• Saudi Arabia pays for the terrorism and Qatar sucks at counterterrorism.
• Our spies have learned that Vladimir Putin and Silvio Berlusconi have some kind of weird bromance going on
involving 'lavish gifts' and 'lucrative energy contracts.' Silvio is essentially acting as Putin's man in the EU.
• His power in Russia is absolute, but the bureaucracy there is so epic it allows Putin to be 'ignored.'
• The U.S.is failing to prevent Syria arming Hezbollah
• The U.S. 'warned' Germany not to arrest CIA agents
who bungled a rendition and kidnapped an innocent German citizen.
Glad to see that our nation’s capital hasn’t been completely gentrified, and retains some of the utlraviolent grit I remember from the streets in the 1980s.
It is time once again for the Edge Annual Question, a mind-bending and boundary-busting online convening of scientists, technologists, and other big thinkers all responding to a single question at the intersection of science and culture. From physicists to artists, cognitive psychologists to journalists, evolutionary biologists to maverick anthropologists, these are people who Edge founder, […]
Keep fucking that chicken.
If you’ve been blessed enough to avoid them yourself, you’ve definitely heard the horror stories. Late night, crushing out a ton of work, writing, coding, anything, then boom – your computer crashes. The battery blows, you spill water or coffee all over the place, or it just shuts down with no explanation, and you’re screwed. […]
You travel around a lot. It might be that jet set life from New York to LA to London to Tokyo, or it might be back and forth from the coffee shop to the office, or from the kitchen to the couch. Any which way, you’re mobile and that’s the way to live. When you […]
It’s 2016 and we like our technology really small. Our phones fit in our pockets, our remotes are lighter than ever, and even our cars seem to be shrinking. So your new drone shouldn’t be an exception. This Axis VIDIUS Drone is 21% off right now and it’s so little, your biggest problem won’t be […]