BP sued in Ecuador for violating the "rights of Nature"

9 Responses to “BP sued in Ecuador for violating the "rights of Nature"”

Nice logic PJDK…. Yeah Lee Boyd Malvo really isn’t that bad when you compare him to Jeffery Dahmer or Ted Bundy… Good job BP!!

2. PJDK says:

Universal Jurisdiction on environmental damage, now that could be a good earner if they pull it off.

But really it is not like BP aren’t paying for what they’ve done. So far it has cost them in the region of $30bn, and they face numerous lawsuits from people who have real jurisdiction and suffered actual damages. http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/BP-lawsuits/19512281/

Obviously it would be better if it hadn’t happened at all, but compare this to Union Carbide/Bhopal or Exxon Valdez, I think BP come out of it pretty well.

• Anonymous says:

This implies Ecuador is claiming jurisdiction over Nature. And as Nature’s guardian, are they now accepting responsibility for everything Nature does? i.e So when Nature flattens my house, can I now sue it in Ecuadorian court and be paid by Ecuador?

This seams like a bad plan.

• Anonymous says:

I think we all have jurisdiction over nature, and vice versa, not just Ecuador. Nature takes care of us, and we (should…) take care of nature, lest one of the two, and later on both, end up dieing out.

3. Super Nate says:

I started to write then backed out of the browser, but I guess I’ll actually say it. This seems like a dangerous personification to me. Nature doesn’t have wants or needs and rights are about the same. It follows its own laws, the laws of physics, and could care less what we care to call the law. Although some biomass involved in the mess might have liked to be more alive than it is now (also a personification that has some of its own danger), the rest of the nature involved, the water, oil, dirt, don’t care one way or another. And trying to declare jurisdiction to be able to speak for the will of nature itself, strikes me as a very scary thing for anyone to claim the ability to do.

4. eaglescout1984 says:

So, American and Mexican coast lines, fishing industries, beaches, ecosystems, etc get damaged and Ecuador sues for damage to the environment. Sounds like a scam if I ever heard one. What’s next, Suing Russia over Chernobyl?