Paolo Bacigalupi's SHIP BREAKER: YA adventure story in a post-peak-oil world

21 Responses to “Paolo Bacigalupi's SHIP BREAKER: YA adventure story in a post-peak-oil world”

1. grikdog says:

I use something smaller than a Kindle, with better ambient lighting, and every page pre-rendered and collated with a convenient numbering system. It supports multiple bookmarks and does not require recharging. It Just Works.

This was a great book and all my classmates LOVED it…

3. John Napsterista says:

Post-apoc is the new Western. I wonder if we are in the Golden Age of post-apocalyptic literature?

4. Coherent says:

As soon as you say “Post Peak Oil World” I immediately think, OMG POST Y2K WORLD WHERE WE EAT RATS AND COCKROACHES BECAUSE THAT’S ALL THAT SURVIVED.

The thing is, books based on popular bugaboos are naked cash-ins, and I immediately discount them with a derisive eye-roll, even if people claim they’re good. And the tragedy here is that they might actually be good but for that one weakness, succumbing to the temptation to exploit a popular bugaboo in exchange for slightly higher media exposure. Why don’t they just try to stand on their own merits? If they’re actually good, they’ll make it anyway. If they suck, well then they need all the help they can get, and so exploiting a bugaboo is only natural.

So I naturally think exploitation books always suck, even if people I respect say otherwise. I’m pretty sure peak oil isn’t going to crush the world economy any more than Y2K did.

So anyway, it just seems like a waste of time to read it if it’s going to be pushing an agenda instead of an actual story.

• steelbound says:

@Coherent: I’ve gotten tired of seeing SF fiction that seems to exclusively use global warming/climate change/end-of-oil as the de-facto near future setting. At the very least it seems very lazy on the part of SF authors but there are some authors that I don’t mind writing in this type of the future and Paolo Bacigalupi is one of them, he is flat-out one of the best SF writers out there now.

The future in The Windup Girl wasn’t the point to book, merely the backdrop to a well-plotted and well-told story. And oftentimes his works are more upbeat about the future then you’d initially imagine, Pump Six was a great example of this.

• Chaoskitten says:

Post peak oil is ever, ever so slightly different to a world in which everyone’s alarm clocks reset at the same moment. Learn to discriminate between a beatup and the real thing.

Just bought this for my son for Christmas. Of course I had to read it first (because there cannot be a book left unread!!!). Plowed through it last night, and couldn’t put it down!

6. robbiemacg says:

SHIP BREAKER targets a different audience, accomplishes something different than WINDUP GIRL. I really appreciate it for what it is and think it stands up well as a current, intelligent YA offering.

The Windup Girl though very tragic, is one of the best distopia themed books I have read. I would put it up there with The Road and Parable of the Talents. A great setting and wonderful story telling. Ship Breaker is just as good without the adult themes. I would highly recommend both books.

Sounds like a happy, fun filled read!

i loved it

10. tedweinstein says:

Would love to buy read WINDUP GIRL but no ebook available via B&N or anywhere else except Amazon, and I don’t own a Kindle. What kind of crazy publisher would not offer all readers access?

Get it at the library !

Both Bacigalupi books are amazing. Windup Girl is one of the best I’ve read in years.

P.S. You could always go to a library and see if they have it. That’s where I got both. =)

13. lolbrandon says:

I enjoyed Ship Breaker, but not as much as I enjoyed Windup Girl. Ship Breaker reminded me of a Michael Crichton novel, with lots of action and a strong main character point of view. It wasn’t nearly as politically heavy as Windup Girl, but the two books could easily take place on the same world. Bacigalupi’s quickly becoming a favorite author of mine.