Black and White and Read All Over

10 Responses to “Black and White and Read All Over”

1. bob d says:

Well, if we’re going to change the definition of what “read” means to “designed something that’s part of your reading experience, I guess we could say that Tim Berners-Lee is the most read… or Gutenberg, for that matter.
    This does raise an interesting question of what the most-read font is, though. I suspect it isn’t for the Roman character set, however.

2. Tim says:

From the title I thought this meant that the guy had read more books than anyone else in the world.

And now I want to know who holds that honor…

3. Tdawwg says:

If you’re taking “read” to mean that the “author” made a visual design that’s ubiquitous, then a logo designer like Saul Bass or Paul Rand would probably win out over a type designer. Or maybe a photographer or other visual artist? Can you be clearer on how you’re using “most-read”?

• Glenn Fleishman says:

Can you be clearer on how you’re using “most-read”?

Not in the literal sense.

(I studied with Paul Rand once. The man put ketchup on his spaghetti every night.)

4. Susan Oliver says:

and

It’s a joke, people! Glenn gets to do that once in a while. Sheesh…

He once used the default Times New Roman… just to see what it was like.

Publishers pay him enormous sums… for fonts he hasn’t invented yet.

He is… the most-read man in the world.

6. Tdawwg says:

I trust that you weren’t studying the culinary arts!

A fine article, BTW.

7. jtegnell says:

This is like the Trivial Pursuit question about who had played the most major league baseball games, the answer being some organist.

8. Fang Xianfu says:

What’s the most-read article in the world? No, it’s not Cablegate, and it’s not the obituary of Sleazy Christopherson: it’s restaurant menus!

Changing what your rhetorical question meant halfway through your answer to it is silly. And also, “likely”? Isn’t that just journalese for “I don’t know if it’s a fact, but I want to write about it anyway”?