impossibleprojectjojo.jpg

The folks at The Impossible Project, which successfully took on the admirable task of making instant film for Polaroid cameras after Polaroid went out of business, have teamed up with Photojojo to sell refurbished Polaroid cameras,

The Original SX-70, The Rainbow OneStep, and The Sun 660 Sonar represent nearly two decades of Polaroid innovations spanning from 1972-1990. Each one rescued from dusty shelves and bleak basements, hand-inspected and re-tooled to perfect working order, polished like new.

They come in a Limited Edition Photojojo + Impossible Project box set and we've only got just a few dozen of each. So once they're gone, you'll just have to man up like Mr. Land and invent one yourself!

Limited Edition Polaroid Cameras

16 Responses to “Refurbed Polaroid cameras from Photojojo and the Impossible Project”

1. DeWynken says:

Holy Carp! I have some of the high end ones out back in the shed in very nice cases…I’m sitting on Instant Gold!

Great idea, but do they still make Polaroid film??

Pshh, come on, the cameras are EVERYWHERE! But if they can make enough profit selling expensive used cameras, and make cheaper film, I am ALL for it.

4. dross1260 says:

Have all working three AND the Barbie version!

5. artaxerxes says:

Thanks for the not-a-shill-in-the-least, mccrum. You’ve brightened my day.

I don’t prefer the monochrome Spectra film, primarily because the city in which I live responds so well to Polaroid polychrome (lots of pastels). But any new Polaroid film makes me smile and hope.

I found that Berlin and Amsterdam, with their flat topography and gray stone facades, both respond very well to the monochrome. Perhaps a trip to the Midwest this winter would yield some interesting material.

Or, maybe the rust belt… Pittsburgh? So I can eat a tasty Persian wrap at the Conflict Kitchen. /That/ would make a good Polaroid. Ample black and white detail in the building and windows surrounding a bright plywood storefront that’s covered in yellow and sky-blue Arabic text.

I do think (hope) that the uniqueness of the Polaroid will keep it alive in the days of infinite reproduction. I’ve been meaning to re-read Walter Benjamin’s “The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction” with the Polaroid in mind.

Meanwhile, while I wait for companies to release more film, I can stop procrastinating the framing, transferring and presentation of the Polaroids I have shot. Oy.

6. irksome says:

Now if only someone would step up and start making Kodachrome 25 again. In 2-1/4. Sigh. My dear old Rolleiflex is lonely and Fuji Velvia 50 just doesn’t quite cut it.

7. mccrum says:

They have a number of cameras to sell, from pinholes to very, very nice pricy fold-outs (a grand or so). But their film is really a thing of beauty. They’ve recently brought out color for the SX-70 and are still in monochrome for the 600 films. Yes, it’s about three bucks a shot, but you’ve got no developing costs and they’re great for parties.

Plus, cameras that work via sonar. How awesome is that? Glass or plain white walls pose no hazard for autofocus. A longtime 680 shooter I have nothing but love and respect for the IP.

The film is pricey but potentially worth it, but anyone paying these prices for cameras easily found at Goodwill deserves to pay those prices. Photojojo is amusing, but lordy do they make a killing off ignorant hipsters.

9. dculberson says:

This is a neat idea, but must confess to some sticker shock. A Sun 660 is a $15 camera in working order.. that’s not a special deal or anything, just the price you can get any day on eBay or any of a dozen web sites. That makes it kind of difficult to justify $200 for one because it’s been cleaned. Coming with a pack film is a nice touch, but again only costs a bit more. It might not come with a cardboard tote that says “limited edition,” but I’m sure the extra $150 or so in your pocket would make up for that.

• mccrum says:

There is a higher cost, but with the fact that it’s been cleaned and fixed you are actually getting a warranty. Good luck finding that on eBay.

That said, there’s no way I’d buy a One Step or a 660 from them, that’s way too much money. But a refinished, working, warrantied SX-70? I’ve seen them go for $350 for one that “worked when my dad used it, it should be fine now”.

• dculberson says:

Oh sure, the warranty has value. I would not argue against that point. It’s up to each potential purchaser to decide how much value.

Many eBay purchases do have warranties. Perhaps not the $15 one, but the $30 one might. The redress is less appealing, with a simple refund being issued instead of actually having the camera repaired.

10. teknokracy says:

Hmmm, I wonder where I could get my SX-70 refurbished?

11. efergus3 says:

I have a working Spectra and 3 packs of film in the fridge. I wonder if they’re going to make any new film packs for it?