Body fishermen in China

11 Responses to “Body fishermen in China”

Reminds me of the TV ads for some car company (GM?) where they used to say, “Body by Fisher.”

2. portside says:

Back in 2008, I was living in Kaifeng, a city situated very close to the Yellow River. My friends and I decided to visit the river one day, and we quickly realized why it wasn’t a tourist attraction. There was a gigantic bloated dead pig stuck floating amidst a thick layer of lightbulbs and plastic jugs. Not a pretty sight or smell.

• futnuh says:

That smell – the odour that when encountered as kids traveling in the car we used to yell ‘skunk’ – is it really a skunk or just the generic smell of death?

3. Cochituate says:

My grandfather lived in the Avon River valley of Nova Scotia (mom as born in 1930), and she said her dad augmented his meager welfare earnings by fishing bodies out of the tidal river, which trapped folks on the mud flats all the time. Somehow in the ’30s and ’40s there must have been a signal out of Windsor to the folks along the shore, so that he could row out and grab the body and the cash.

4. Locobot says:

I smell a recession growth industry.

China is the new Dickensian England, and this guy is the new Gaffer Hexam.

6. felbot says:

This was apparently also a common practice in London during the Victorian era. Dickens’ /Our Mutual Friend/, which was written in 1865, opens with a body-fishing scene:

“a boat of dirty and disreputable appearance, with two figures in it, floated on the Thames, between Southwark Bridge, which is of iron, and London Bridge, which is of stone, as an autumn evening was closing in”

[...]

“[w]hat he had in tow, lunged itself at him sometimes in an awful manner when the boat was checked, and sometimes seemed to try to wrench itself away, though for the most part it followed submissively”

..lest we get too Occidentalist on this one.

7. MrJM says:

“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” — Matthew 4:19

8. airshowfan says:

Next week, on Dirty Jobs…

@MrJM please have my babies