Sales pitch from an ATM-skimmer vendor

29 Responses to “Sales pitch from an ATM-skimmer vendor”

This is scary … i have been aware of this issue for some time now … but I have not seen this level of sophistication yet …

Just last week at the ATM, i wiggled at the parts (keyboard and such) to make sure it is not an add-on … but that actually drew the attention of the security guy …

So, what can one do? My best bet still is to select ATMs where people cannot easily attach extra parts (then again, throw on a uniform of sorts and nobody will question you if you are really there for maintenance)

2. manicbassman says:

one is wondering if the original copyright holder of those ATM skimmer “manual” videos is going to use the DMCA to take them down…

3. theawesomerobot says:

Seems like you guys are getting bombarded with spam of all kinds lately.

4. awjtawjt says:

Umm hello, $50 fix here… an arduino-based GSM signal detector. Banks mount it inside the atm between the keyboard and card slot. Even a person with a cell phone will have a weaker signal than a device 2 inches away, transmitting. Not that effen hard to figure out.

• manicbassman says:

“Umm hello, $50 fix here… an arduino-based GSM signal detector. Banks mount it inside the atm between the keyboard and card slot.”

but that would require the banks spending money kitting out ATMs with this kit… it would affect their profits… can’t have that!!!

don’t forget, the first thing they do when you report an unauthorised transaction is to accuse YOU of being slack with your card and pin…

fitting skimmer detectors would be admitting there’s a problem…

• awjtawjt says:

haha, you’re on the money. The customer is always right, EXCEPT when you are a bank customer. Two years ago, I deposited a check at my bank and got cash back. Two days later my statement has another $100 charge on it. I call the branch manager and she says the teller tacked on another $100 because she THOUGHT she handed me an extra Franklin. I said hell no, I got what I wrote on my slip and that’s IT, check your ^(&*$^% video feed. I even called HER boss, whom I know, to complain about that garbage. They insisted that I show them the paper receipt I got that day. Luckily I still had it. They checked their tapes. And fired that teller. Jesus. Effin BANKS. Even banks you’re a customer at for 20 years…. I retract my $50 statement. There is no solution to this except to fire all the banks. Why is WikiLeaks taking so freakin LONG???? Release the BofA stuff already!!

• mccrum says:

You are making the false assumption that banks actually care about stopping skimming and/or protecting their customers (either fiscal or data).

Protection costs money. The customer’s money. Not the bank’s.

• Stooge says:

It’s even easier to figure out that 5c of shielding will make your fix wholly ineffective.

5. lyd says:

So… the police will sit and watch people have their card info stolen while they wait for the skimmers to return for their gear?

• sabik says:

For non-GSM skimmers, that’s reasonable — the criminals don’t have the info until they physically retrieve the skimmer.

• lyd says:

I’m not certain that it is reasonable. Even with a store-and-retrieve device, my data is being captured unnecessarily. A lot of people along the chain of evidence are now going to get access to my information who otherwise would not have, and I am uncomfortable with that happening when it can be prevented.

The police could disable the storage mechanism before the stakeout, perhaps, but I’d be happy with a simple warning being given to the cardholders after using the machine. I just don’t find any indication of that happening.

• Anonymous says:

The point is that they can do so with a normal skimmer which stores the data for later retrieval, as once the guy returns to collect it they arrest him and take it as evidence, but if they don’t realise that it’s a GSM one they can be sitting there eating donuts and waiting all day in vain for the guy to return, while peoples’ details are still successfully stolen without their knowledge.

• Anonymous says:

Why the hell can’t the bank see them installing these in the first place? I thought they all had security cameras. And how about putting a flat plate up around the card slot and keyboard that blocks anything from being attached and makes any attempt to glue or bolt something on look obvious?

John

7. murray says:

Don’t use ATM’s, people. Just make a habit of getting cash out when you use your card to pay for groceries, etc. It’s worked for me for the last 8 years.

8. awjtawjt says:

Oh and I fired all the banks just now, so all of this chit-chat is irrelevant.

9. thecheat says:

One has to wonder if ATM skimmer equipment vendors accept credit cards for sales transactions or not. Obviously if you were in the market for stuff like this, you would not be coming out of (your own) pocket for stuff like this.

10. thecheat says:

I gotta say, that spam website has some decent deals… I wonder how bad a $78 suit really is…. very tempting.

• mccrum says:

Good news: It’s made of quality craftsmanship and excellent cloth.
      Bad news: They use little people as midgets, the suits are made only for children.

• Donald Petersen says:

You fault their process? Whom would you use as midgets?

• mccrum says:

Models. I totally said models there, the internets messed up.

Or something.

I too use little people as midgets as well, you are entirely correct sir. It’s really the only way.

11. HornCologne says:

“Criminals certainly seem to be becoming very sophisticated. The technological war seems about even at the moment, but what happens if the criminals win?”

If they are any kind of smart, they have already won. There has got to be a pain point where the banks would “do something” and as long as the skimmers stay just below that (I am certain very lucrative) threshold, this will go on forever.

The perfect example of this is the fact that the airlines flat out refused for years to install armored cockpit doors on passenger planes. The pain point? 911. Look what that got us into … yeesh.

The moral of the story? Today’s profit is today’s profit, screw tomorrow.

12. NeilFraser says:

At the moment there doesn’t seem to be a link in this article. The Google points me here:

13. mdh says:

Duracell, trusted everywhere

14. caipirina says:

15. Antinous / Moderator says:

Every time we have an ATM skimmer post, we get spam from people selling ATM skimmers. They’re not the slightest bit secretive about it.

Do ATMs really still use the card stripe? I thought they’d have moved to the chip by now….

Old news for brazilians!!!!!!