Julian Assange's couchsurfing.com profile?

15 Responses to “Julian Assange's couchsurfing.com profile?”

Don’t sleep on Julian’s couch unless you want the whole world to know that you snore.
    Also how weird does it get when your at his house and the secret service is couch surfing with you?

2. BadCat! says:

Hmm, I don’t see that he added “has sex with you in your sleep” to his profile…

3. TeaisforTim says:

As a couchsurfer myself, I have to say that the good Mr. HARRYHARRISON would have a lot of trouble getting people to let him surf with them, and just as much trouble getting requests from other surfers. The profile information is scarce and cocky, suggesting someone who is both lazy and difficult to get along with. Intensity and an inflated sense of self worth are not what you want to see in a potential surfer, and this profile reeks of both. Out of a meager 5 references, 2 are neutral. The location is obviously incorrect, making it almost impossible to locate him with the couchsearch utility and making him suspect when he makes couchrequests. To his credit, he does successfully come across as interesting, and the photos make the grade for quality and clarity. If this guy asked to surf my couch, I would have to think long and hard about it. I definitely would not give him access to my unsecured network.

Naturally, all of this is before considering his work as international man of mystery Julian Assange.

• Anonymous says:

Regarding: “scarce and cocky, suggesting someone who is both lazy and difficult to get along with. Intensity and an inflated sense of self worth”

From my limited experiences working with Julian, as well as what I’ve observed online, I think that the words peppered above quite accurately sum him up.

4. Rickmccl says:

Harry Harrison again. Well I guess I’m glad someone else liked “The Stainless Steel Rat” books.

5. Lobster says:

Boingboing, whether you believe WikiLeaks is a good thing or a bad thing it’s a huge thing. HUGE.

Why the hell are you joining the rush to turn Assange into a celebrity? This isn’t about him!

• Aloisius says:

Sigh… I’d still like to know if the OK Cupid is REAL?

No, it is all a big hoax. Someone created an OKCupid profile for him in 2006 and uploaded pictures that exist nowhere else on the internet to it. They then created an account for him on Couch Surfing 2 years later with the exact same username “HARRYHARRISON.”

Also, Obama was born in Kenya and his other planted an announcement of his birth in the Honolulu Advertiser in 1961 on the off chance that he might want to one day run for President.

• Pantograph says:

Well they could if they had a time machine.
        Waitaminute… Has anyone checked archive.com for Harry Harrison’s Geocities page? I bet it has an X-files theme midi file playing and plenty of blink tags.

• Cowicide says:

uploaded pictures that exist nowhere else on the internet to it.

[citations needed]

6. John Napsterista says:

There’s a “harryharrison” on last.fm. Last login Oct. 2007. Likes Coldplay, Oasis and, uhm, Michael Buble, among others. Draw your own conclusions: http://www.last.fm/user/harryharrison

7. Heisenberg says:

I’m curious if Assange is a science fiction fan.

8. Flying_Monkey says:

There are those who are interested in celebrity triva, and there are those who are interested in the issues of openness and transparency in order to hold the powerful to account.

I knew the likes of Gawker were of the former persuasion, but I had thought better of BoingBoing. I know you like your trivia, but it helps to know when the trivia is actually not just trivia but a diversion.

And the focus on Assange (positive, negative or otherwise) is a diversion from the fact that the outcome of the conflict over Wikileaks has the potential to help shape the future of Internet.

Looks like a very real CS profile to me. Even the references are from real people and are very detailed. I would say it is real.

I agree this is just celebrity gossip stuff but still neat to know he has a CS profile, never seen anyone famous on CS even if his fame is different then say a movie star.