Music of Minecraft: Deadmau5 test tracks on Soundcloud

8 Responses to “Music of Minecraft: Deadmau5 test tracks on Soundcloud”

Wow. Deadmau5 and Minecraft. It’s like a perfect storm of terrible fucking things.

2. southafricanscum says:

I’ve never seen so many fanboys/girls on one Soundcloud page…
    pretty great music though.

3. VICTOR JIMENEZ says:

Wonderfull tracks.
    Wonderfull game.
    Never punching trees was so fun!

4. artaxerxes says:

I’m a very snobby music-freak. Yes, I do admit it. Why front? I have a good ear (still work professionally in sound) and have been listening music for an average of 16 hours a day over the last 30 years: since the first white Zenith transistor radio I bought with my hard-earned and scrupulously saved profits from endless car-washes, lawn work, garbage management and floor-scrubbing: $4.89 of it (wish I would have maintained those habits). That transistor radio has inspired me through many a fight with others over simplicity and function in products I’ve helped to drive, build and market.

These deadmau5 tracks are what I’ve been wishing for every time I play a game recommended by discerning friends. Otherwise the gaming experience doesn’t really work for me (and I recognize that these tracks wouldn’t work for many games).

What I’m saying is that developers and music producers looking to crack new markets might want to think about my demographic: people who love this kind of technical, ambient background and the kinds of games the would work with them. I am also a long-term UI designer and the games that might work best with these tracks would be simple, smart, pure interfaces that require rhythm and timing and, maybe even the ability to get into a trance/meditation state to achieve satisfaction/a higher score.

One of the games I’ve wanted to play for years is Vib-ribbon. It’s unavailable in the States unless one buys a Japanese console and I am not into games enough to extend myself like that. I’ve also been fairly free of the market since I sold some of my work and company and devoted the residual $ to reading, photography, art, hiking and other non-consumer-related interests.

In other words, I’m functionally broke. It’s really well worth the bargain, at least for a while. But I bet there are game developers and sound artists out there who want to develop games that incorporate music like this and would appeal to markets who are looking for that kind of experience.

Is it a matter of budget spent on titles that might not sell well? I’m curious. It seems like that market is so wide open for extension that there would be room for a sub-market targeted at these types of users. Also, simple games, as long as they’re not burdened by irresponsible and silly pressures from marketing/executives, are fairly cheap to produce, so better returns for the actual artists. Just an idea. I’d love to hear from people in the niche game industry about viability. Or just why it wouldn’t work since I not hip to the ins and outs of that industry. Because I expect there are many reasons that lie within that category.

5. MadRat says:

You guys only recently heard about this? I follow Deadmau5 on Twitter and he LOOOOVES Minecraft. Here’s a more recent example of his devotion: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6198331&id=9980651805

BEST. GAME. EVER.

7. Lobster says:

Seriously, pig. Get in the cart. Just get in the cart.

Gotta love some Deadmau5 … great tracks.