Greenpeace v Big Oil, the CC-released environmental game

8 Responses to “Greenpeace v Big Oil, the CC-released environmental game”

1. seenoweevil says:

@technogeek – history of … ? defending the environment?

Ultimately any reserve will fail. There will always be some price X for oil at which economies are flailing enough and profits are high enough that a special dispensation will be given to drill. $200/bbl? $500/bbl? $1000/bbl? All reserves will do is delay until other sources are used first.

3. JohnC says:

No intelligent thoughtful person (or anyone who has watched Penn and Teller’s Bullsh!t) with even a glimmer of a conscience *could* support Greenpeace or Peta.

There comes a time in the lifespan of every cause when the organization itself becomes far more important than the cause it was created for.

Very often, almost inevitable, to the detriment of the cause itself.

It’s the natural life cycle of activism and any organization that’s been around for more than a decade needs to be shunned completely.

• Anonymous says:

Without knowing about Greenpeace in particular, it terrifies me that people would form their opinion about environmental groups based on what Cato Institute fellows have to say about them.

4. megnes says:

This reminds me of a favorite board game from my youth, Save The Whales. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19781/save-the-whales

It’s a co-operative game for up to 4 people, moving amazing little models of whales around a beautifully illustrated board so you can save the whales from the horrors of oil spills, trawlers, whale hunters and krill die offs. It’s an amazing game, and I’m glad I stil have my copy.

5. ADavies says:

JohnC – Your point seems to be about the same as “don’t trust anyone over thirty”. Well, I’m over 30. And I work for Greenpeace.

Maybe I can interest you in another look at Greenpeace. We’ve been getting a lot of good stuff done in the past few years…

And check out the blog from my friend Dave today about saving a big chunk of forest in Finland.

6. Beelzebuddy says:

The most important point: does this game allow me to guffaw about destroying the environment like a Captain Planet villain? Can I build deepwater oil rigs which are doomed to fail, and then pump the oil straight onto water fowl and cute dolphins before grinding the lot into paste to be canned as tuna? Or is the moral lesson a heavy-handed “oil companies win, WE ALL LOSE” aesop?

*reads*

“EVERYONE LOSES if one species goes extinct.”

Literally, that’s actually how they capitalize it.

7. technogeek says:

Pity it’s Greenpeace, and that the game specifically references Greenpeace. Given some of their history, I really can’t support them.