Commodore 64 reborn as a high-spec PC

27 Responses to “Commodore 64 reborn as a high-spec PC”

1. mathdemon says:

I own six of the old C64s (one German-manufactured), one VIC-20, and two C128s. I will definitely buy this one! And all their Amiga-versions. And their alternate-universe high-end products. But not the Phoenix, because it’s ugly ass.

Do they sell it with a emulator bundled?

2. mdh says:

will it have an external cassette tape drive, because if it does I want to store my .mp3′s that way.

It is NOT a C64 nor a C64 clone, and doesn’t really have anything to do with it besides name and shape similarities. This is a pure marketing stunt riding on the Commodore branding heritage. The retro community isn’t exactly thrilled about it for plenty of reasons, to put it politely.

Previously featured in various places, for example here:

4. GrymRpr says:

I’ve been thinking about buying a Commodore Phoenix personally ( and ditching the netbook in the bedroom.

/an old Color 64 BBS Sysop

A new C64 without joystick port and no connectivity for CBM 1541 and 1530 Datasette? Good idea, bad implementation :(

Well, our dog is also a member of our executive team(!) so I’m callin’ plagiarism here! We did it first! But it’s still damn cute…and a welcome antidote to stuffy corpie-speak and corpie-bios!

7. PrettyBoyTim says:

I’d rather have a PC in a BBC Micro case. It had a much better keyboard. I’d forgive them if they started the F key numbering from one rather than zero, though. Even through every good programmer knows you always start indexing at zero.

8. coaxial says:

This is bullshit. How can I press RUN_STOP-RESTORE? Why are the F-keys not the F-keys? Where is the British-Pound symbol key?

It’s just a Commodore 64 shaped computer.

This [1], on the other hand, is a working Altair 8800 replica. After spending a whole day deploying Windows 7 on thousands of machines, moving terabytes of data in the process, nothing is as relaxing as bit-toggling a hundred-byte shell sort routing from the front panel, and then watch the blinkenlights.

No commercial affiliation, just a satisfied customer, yadda yadda.

[1] http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=11

10. Michael_GR says:

I don’t trust their website.
    The background is a screen grab from Google Earth. All the images in the gallery are computer renderings, and not very good ones at that. The entire website, in fact, is rather amateurish. This is NOT a hardware manufacturer’s website. If it’s legit, this is probably a very shoddy product. More probably, it’ll take your money and you’ll never get anything in return.

11. Michael_GR says:

A couple other things from the website:
    If you go to the “corporate” page, one of he board members is a dog.
    Their “Phoenix” PC is actually a Cybernet ZPC GX31, an existing product that has nothing to do with either Amiga or Commodore.

This is a joke or a hoax. Not a real product.

• turn_self_off says:

“Commodore USA, LLC, recently secured licensing rights to both the Commodore and AMIGA brands”

This is a quote from their about page, so i am not so sure. I think previously they sold x86 gaming rigs under the Commodore brand.

12. Christo says:

Wonderful, I want one, even if it’s shoddy…

They need to do a version with a modern keyboard.

14. Crazee says:

Considering the Amiga wrote the same on their pages, I’d say this seems real :)

15. Crashproof says:

No indication that the new C64 has the SID chip. That would seal the deal for many.

16. hpavc says:

I would love one just as a usb keyboard.

17. teapot says:

Please tell me their next project is building a Roadrunner in a Colossus case!

Please tell me there’s a SID chip in there.
    PLEASE

The Atari ST will have it’s day yet!

20. redesigned says:

yes, but can you hackintosh them? :-)

21. murray says:

A little nitpicking if I may: the Atom is far from a “high-spec” CPU. It’s the chip they use in netbooks and the like. Decidedly low-spec.

• Anonymous says:

@murray – they didn’t say it was “high-spec”, they said it was “high-spec for a C64″. And indeed, the Atom in this machine is *very* high spec compared to the MOS 6510 in the original C64…

22. Prolix says:

If it doesn’t come with a copy of Interceptor and the modem needs less than 15 minutes to connect, I’m sticking with my Intel 8088 and never looking forward.

23. jamesb says:

Also, there are actual photos of a protoype on this page: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Prototype.aspx

Though I must say I think it does look a little shaky, probably just because they haven’t got their act together sufficiently.
    Its also a little unnerving theres not contact info. we shall see…

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

24. turn_self_off says:

Do they sell it with a emulator bundled?

Would be kinda fun to have it set up with one on autostart.