A worthy list (and video recap): Videogum's Best Viral Videos of 2010

20 Responses to “A worthy list (and video recap): Videogum's Best Viral Videos of 2010”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

Jeez. David After Dentist will be two years old next month. Memes grow up so fast.

Nitpick, but the video is titled best viral videos, it’s not a meme list. If it was about the top memes then it should include all the formats in which memes spread (text, image, audio).

3. pa says:

Wow, I didn’t know I had missed so much of the 2010 memes. In hindsight, it wasn’t that good at all.

4. Voris Klopchick says:

Isn’t Something Awful a different site?

Wait, what is that neo-nazi dad video called?! I must see the whole thing.

6. knijon says:

I guess I don’ goofed, ’cause I didn’t recognize quite a few of those clips.

7. ElectroDruid says:

I counted. I recognised 10 things in that video, at least 7 of them being no more than 2 second long flashbacks. Most of it was completely incomprehensible. Most of the incomprehensible stuff seemed to be very US-centric.

I consider myself to be someone that (for better or worse) becomes aware of memes reasonably quickly. So is it the case that I’m horribly out of touch, or is it the case that the makers of that video are skewed towards the memes that were particularly prevalent in their country rather than ones which spread across the internet as a whole?

• MelSkunk says:

I’m voting out of touch. I’m not American either but I recognized 25 of the videos. (None of the various vote candidate ones, to be fair) I don’t think you’re as on the meme as you believe yourself to be.

8. Crispinus211 says:

In memoriAM — with an A to the M, goddamnit!

9. bill.barstad@gmail.com says:

I am so proud that I haven’t seen any of the viral videos of 2010. Hope to do as well next year!

10. bklynchris says:

OH MY GAWWWWWD! That was a Norwegian Elkhound riding that lawn mower!!!

11. Robert says:

Kitten with Tiny Hat didn’t make it in? I guess it’s too new. Speaking of, what are your favorite cat video memes?

* Angriest cat in the world/Burger ‘n Fries
    * Oh my dog/Why I eyes ya
    * OMG cat
    * The Two Talking Cats
    * ?

What does this MEAN?

13. jordawesome says:

Since when is John Malkovich sporting head tats, and hanging out in Boulder?

14. scifijazznik says:

MAJOR OVERSIGHT– the backtraced it/cyber police/consequences will never be the same dude. Maybe not a boingboing fave, but I enjoyed it.

15. nemofazer says:

I just signed in to add my voice to the, I didn’t recognize most of them, camp. And I spend far too long on the internet in general and reddit in particular while also subscribing to podcasts like the Buzz report, GeekBeat and WebBeat TV and so I would have thought I’d be more aware.

16. bcsizemo says:

The 2010 meme scene isn’t complete without PUDDI!!!!

Damn you 4chan *shaking fist*….

interesting that everyone feels ‘out of touch’ – could that be a harbinger of the truth of the internet? that it’s so freaking much info (mostly lame) that no one will ever keep up – not that missing ANY of that lame crap would have ANY effect on anything…
    I mean the thing I made is probably the coolest video thing ever (to date) and yet almost no one has seen it. amazing. (I’m not going to point you to it, as that is not de rigeur here. so how do I get the audience?) damn you internetz!

18. kip w says: