Joris sez, "2010 was an amazing year in 3D printing. It was a 'year of acquaintance' where millions of people came into contact with this 25 year old technology for the first time. The post is the year in review for 3D printing and sums up many of the advances and progress the 3D printing has made in 2010."
2010: the Year in 3D printing
* April 14th Shapeways introduces 3D printed glass. A new Prometal material that has exciting applications and is recyclable.
* May 1st McGill University researchers learn how to 3D print ice.
* May 25th EOS displays and shows off stainless-steel prototypes for customized spinal surgical instruments, Cobalt chrome replacement knee joint prototypes, end-product dental copings and bridges and Titanium dental implants.
* June 8th Materialise creates a full size King Tut replica for National Geographic.
* June 21st RepRap contributor Erik de Bruijn launches Ultimaker, a 3D printing kit with a large 21cm by 21cm build volume.
Those bowtie-shaped “motorized self-balancing two-wheeled scooters” you see in the windows of strip-mall cellphone repair shops and in mall-kiosks roared out of nowhere and are now everywhere, despite being so new that we don’t even know what they’re called.
Vtech is a ubiquitous Hong Kong-based electronic toy company whose kiddy tablets and other devices are designed to work with its cloud service, which requires parents to set up accounts for their kids. 4.8 million of those accounts just breached, leaking a huge amount of potentially compromising information, from kids’ birthdays and home addresses to […]
The LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE was the company’s latest answer to Apple’s dominating entry into the market. But it died fast, pulled off the shelves within a week due to an unspecified problem with the display. Ron Amadeo writes that they “are not in a position to communicate the specifics of the issue […]
The Micro Drone 2.0+ is truly in a league of its own, offering a new perspective on aerial photography, and a world of technological capabilities that make flying ridiculously fun. Simply throw it in the air at any angle and its self-correcting algorithm will stabilize for smooth sailing in no time. You’ll stay entertained with […]
Celebrate Cyber Monday with some brain food. Save on any eLearning deal in the Boing Boing Store today using coupon code: CYBERMONDAY25. Below are a couple of our favorite eLearning offers: eduCBA Tech Training Bundle: Lifetime Subscription:Welcome to your personal online classroom, where you can finally study at your own pace, on your own time (and […]
This minimalist multi-tool will see to it that instead of rocking a tool belt, you’ll carry just one. It’s shaped slightly like a key and weighs less than an ounce, so it plays nice with your keychain. The strong surgical-grade stainless steel blade will last, and is handy for everyday tasks like opening boxes and […]