Secret history of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic game

10 Responses to “Secret history of Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic game”

I used to work with Yoz until a couple of months ago. He’s one of the most awesome people I’ve ever known– a never-ending fount of fun and usefulness. He’s like a technology concierge: anything you can imagine, he either knows how to do it, or personally knows someone else who does. Even though I worked with him every day for years, I had no idea that he was involved with Douglas Adams until I read this. And now his delightful other-worldliness makes more sense.

2. Cobaltie says:

I’ve been trying explain the weirdness of the SLL Employee Forum to other people for YEARS. I was part of it way back when it was first put up, and it was my first experience with the internet.

The most amazing part of it all is mentioned in Yoz’s post: the entire roleplaying story in the forum was completely spontaneous and self-generated, even self moderated. If anyone posted something outside the usually unspoken rules, it would either be quickly ignored or brushed off. Everyone threw in their ideas on where the plot was going, and other people either rolled with it or didn’t. The twisted and bizarre plots were an emergent property of the limited interaction of the posters.

A good summary on the history of the Forum’s plots and characters is the entry in h2g2: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A584831

~(was once Phindex)

3. Xenu says:

If I got an e-mail from someone named “Chris Stevedave” I’d be laughing too hard to respond.

4. Jesse M. says:

I wish there was more of a market for porting old CD-ROM games (and other ‘adventure’ games like the ones from Sierra or LucasArts) to current systems, I never picked up this game at the time but I’d like to try it out now…

This game almost literally changed my life as a kid, I absolutely loved it, kept the game in its case until just a few years ago when the I found the CDs too degraded to play again. I wonder if I could find a good working copy, and I hope it runs in Wine…

to the anonymous posting at number 3: start at the top of the metafilter post in question. there are *quite* detailed instructions…

7. Jordan117 says:

Don’t miss the money quote:

“It’s somewhat like ignoring the vegetable drawer of your fridge for a year, then opening it to find a bunch of very grateful sentient tomatoes busily working on their third opera.”

I remember getting those emails! Don’t know if I posted in the forums though. Loved Starship Titanic and still have a copy in the box, alas it is the PC version and my system now is a Mac.

9. yri says:

Anon (#8), what you said. I have the honor of knowing Yoz for many years now, and he has always been the one I ask when I need to know what is the current state of art in technology, and what music I might should give a listen to. He is simply fab.