London's sewermen say: bin your fat, don't flush it

17 Responses to “London's sewermen say: bin your fat, don't flush it”

No fat down the drain, don’t put knives in the dishwasher. What other bits of wisdom from my mom are going to be featured in boing boing? Always start at the bottom when washing walls? (it prevents streaking)
    NB -Don’t put coffee grounds down the drain either, they also tend to clog up the drain.

2. PrettyBoyTim says:

I feel awful. I drained a bit of fat from the roast potatoes down the sink earlier. Sorry sewermen.

3. Blaine says:

I’m not even in England and I feel guilty for flushing wet wipes.

4. Trnck says:

Blocking comments on youtube is for dirty politicians, not for these great workers that help people out.

btw, this is a good way of catching my attention.

5. Gilbert Wham says:

I’ve seen this horrible shit on documentaries, plus, a friend of mine worked in the sewrs for a while and He’d corroborate this wholeheartedly. Ick.

6. liovaliova says:

how wonderful website I found, respect

Am I the only one who suddenly feels like frying up some bacon?

First, sewermen rock; thanks! to anyone interested in sewers, look into “The Great Stink” of London, and/or look for the novel of the same name. Fascinating stuff.

@Anon – next up from mum: don’t eat apple seeds because a tree will grow in your stomach, and don’t swallow your gum because it will form a giant ball in your lungs (?) and kill you.

9. bklynchris says:

I am a dilettante plumber and am obsessive about what gets flushed. That said, the NO NO list very much includes hair! From the brush or what you pull from the shower drain.

Also, Santa brought my daughter a “Watership Down” DVD. We watched it in its entirety and I bemoaned the fact they I have not, nor will probably never, lived in England. If for no other reason, then even their sewermen are sharp and talented.

OOOOooo, I envy the Canadians, ENVY!!!!! you. Tauntingly living a geopolitical guilt free life, replete with low crime stats, nationalized health care, more funny people per capita, visa-less access to the UK and Australia, and the best for last, Rush.

Malcolm Gladwell, however, you can keep.

10. Jardine says:

I have a septic tank instead of sewers, can I flush fat?

• Anonymous says:

Since you’d have to suffer the consequences, not the neighbours downstream where the plug happens, knock yourself out. But I’m pretty sure you’d disturb your septic system’s ecology like that.

11. angryearthling says:

my brother ran a drain unblocking business here in ireland and people pouring fat down the drain were his bread and butter. there are companies that pay restaurants for their used fat and provide containers for it but they persisted in pouring the fat down the drain even though it cost them to do so. my brother even offered to collect and remove it for them but they still persisted. worse was that the person paying for unblocking the drain was usually downstream from the person who poured it in.

12. Sparky says:

Just recently the sewer pipe next to my house blocked. Of course it then preceded to bubble up into my garden, nasty doesn’t even begin to cover it. Some of what I saw can only be described as an alien entity.
    The guys and gal turned up in no time and started to remove an unbelievable amount of fat from the sewer, massive chunks of the stuff, for what seemed like an eternity.
    Since then I watch what I chuck down the sink.

13. braininavat says:

Fat is supposed to be 25% of your diet so I would think that SOMETHING down there would want to eat it.

14. EvilSpirit says:

Just flush a bunch of lye as well, and you’ll turn it to soap, right?

15. rustless rodent says:

This could have been a scene in the hilarious novel Sewer, Gas, and Electric: the Public Works Trilogy, which I just read. The nonfiction On The Grid also mentions that buildups of fat is the most common cause of sewage pipes clogging.