Candid photos of Civil War battlefield injuries

38 Responses to “Candid photos of Civil War battlefield injuries”

1. mpb says:

One of the pathologists in early 1980s or late 1970s filmed the impact of various firearms on a model human (femur or thigh bone set in a gelatine block). This is worth locating to show how the early firearms to the modern (1980) did very different damage to the human body and how battlefield medicine has changed.

The other revelation is how treatment of veterans has or hasn’t so much changed. After war care seems to always be well-behind what one would expect given the injuries predicted/encountered.

My relatives did not own slaves and would have been appalled at the suggestion. nevertheless, they fought and were wounded for their homes.

• mrhode says:

“Terminal Ballistics of Antique and Modern Firearms” by Bruce Ragsdale, at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, an outgrowth of the Medical Museum. If a copy isn’t already on http://www.archive.org I can have one transferred and uploaded after the holidays.

Looking at that image in it’s highest resolution format at the Flickr account, it appears to be a drawing or painting, not a photograph.

• mrhode says:

Which image? The hernia? That’s a photograph, it’s just done with Civil War photographic technology which means the original negative is 3″ x 4″ but printed using photographic salts on rough paper.

3. BB says:

My Great Grand-Father and Great Grand-Uncle fought in the Civil War, with a NYC Regiment; Union Troop. My GGF lied about his age to get in, and my GGU saw serious battle, especially at the end of the war, in the south. He died very young, but after the war. I’ve never found his death certificate, so I don’t know the cause. It may have been Yellow Fever according to oral family history. The war impacted both. My GGF had been struck in the face with a bullet, although his photos hid this. He suffered from ‘rheumatismus’ his entire life from injuries. My GGF worked in the field helping the medics of the day, during the war. He had been promoted, but eventually took a demotion back down to private. It was better to see the dead, rather than see the tortured survivors, it would seem. These photos explain why.

Thanks, I appreciate history and vintage photos.

• mpb says:

That war left deep traces through families and communities. The Depression came earlier to the rural south and children growing up then, with cornmeal and field greens for food, had living grandfathers whose physical wounds were visible. Evidently my mother’s grandfather liked to wave goodbye to the grandkids with his limbless pant leg.

Makes one wonder how anyone copes with atrocity.

4. Halloween Jack says:

Yeah, I didn’t need to look at too many of those.

5. DJBudSonic says:

Ugg – I’m almost afraid to look at the photo set, but I probably will. I was just going through some stuff from when I was a kid and found a handful of Minie’s and other Civil War era ammo I got on a childhood trip to the Civil War Trail – both fired and unfired. If you have any knowledge of modern arms and ammunition you will be shocked to hold one of these bullets – they are huge! These days we rely more on velocity and less less on projectile mass to get a favorable killing equation.

6. zyodei says:

Ah! So sad! I looked at that picture and thought “damn, that’s one lucky guy.”

Why haven’t we as a species learned our lesson yet? On a side note, and I ask this sincerely, why was America the only country in the world that needed a war to abolish slavery?

• madu1 says:

“why was America the only country in the world that needed a war to abolish slavery?”

Who said it did? Slavery had already died off in the north, and arguably would have died off in the south too within a few decades. Lincoln from 1962:

“If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.”

• mdh says:

“died off in the north”? You’re confusing some facts there. While I suppose it existed in the north, slavery was hardly a cultural institution or critical to the economy of the north.

“would arguably have died off in the south” – that argument was had. It did.

• Prufrock451 says:

Afraid that’s not quite right, old chap.

The type specimen for this sort of war is the Haitian Revolution, which turned the richest place on earth into, well, Haiti.

Slave revolts were a regular occurrence throughout Latin America. And escaped slaves set up independent enclaves in Mexico, Jamaica, and elsewhere; the fugitive nation of Palmares lasted for generations in the Brazilian hinterlands before Portugal managed to destroy it.

The Brits fought a number of punitive actions against slave traders on the African coast.

For the sake of brevity, I’ll omit discussion of uprisings against colonial slavery, notably the Congo, slave rebellions in Islamic nations such as the Zanj Rebellion, actions to recover Christian slaves such as the British 1816 bombardment of Tripoli, or slave rebellions in antiquity such as the one led by Spartacus.

• flosofl says:

Zyodei,

The entire issue is extremely complex when it comes to slavery and the root causes of the US Civil War. There was Abolition, yes, but there was also the aspect about slavery being blocked in the western expansion, and whether states rights superseded the federal gov’t or not. There’s also the issue that when Northern state began industrialization, it tended towards becoming a Free State.

I recommend reading the Wikipedia entry Origins of the American Civil War as a starting place. Shelves and shelves of books have been written exploring this very topic.

• Prufrock451 says:

“The entire issue is extremely complex” but, luckily, can be boiled down to SLAVERY. States rights regarding slavery, economic issues regarding slavery, cultural differences evolving out of slavery, competitive disadvantages resulting from slavery, Southern isolation and political decline because of slavery.

Executive summary: IT WAS F—ING SLAVERY.

• xzzy says:

As long as there’s someone out there who’s decided that the only way to get their point across is to kill someone else, dying horribly will remain a risk.

Isn’t being mortal fun!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

…why was America the only country in the world that needed a war to abolish slavery?

Well, apparently, you are NOT Spartacus.

• Prufrock451 says:

Beat you to it! :)

As for those whose ancestors fought for their homes: well, I hate to say it, but your poor farm boys got suckered by The Man. Don’t feel bad. They weren’t the first or last to fight for a rich man’s rights.

7. bunnyman2112 says:

If you can find it, Joel Peter Witkin’s Masterpieces of Medical Photography
    (Selections from the Burns Archive) has a great selection of Civil War photographs…

• mrhode says:

Dr. Burns is working on a new book on the photographs of Dr. Reed Bontecou which should be very interesting. He has pictures the museum does not have, and has done a lot of research on Dr. Bontecou.

8. That Evening Sun says:

Goodness gracious. Pvt. Lane spent nearly two months in hospital and wound up dying from gangrene. Nowadays, sanitary conditions, a wad of gauze, and some antibiotics would have allowed a soft tissue wound like that to heal in the amount of time it took him to die from the same wound in 1865. That’s terribly sad.

9. mrhode says:

BTW, new pictures are going up, including today.

One more grim reminder of the cost of war. MASH was one of my favorite TV shows, as long as I didn’t let myself think too much about the overt insanity of alternately sending young people off to try to kill as many of the young people on the “other side” as possible, and frantically trying to save the lives of these same young people, when the “other side” shot first. As long as rich, powerful men can sit behind a desk and order the death of thousands, nothing will change.

11. EeyoreX says:

Ahem…

“Christ, what an ass-hole!”

Too soon?

12. mrhode says:

We’ve also scanned and uploaded the 6-volume Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion that these pictures were often engraved for. This search will find it http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=otis%20historical%20archives

13. DeWynken says:

What happens when the Unicorn Chaser gets a bit overzealous.

14. kmoser says:

Since when does doctor-patient confidentiality end with the death of the patient?

• mrhode says:

You’re taking 21st century notions and applying them retroactively. These soldiers had their names published in the Medical and Surgical History, along with woodcuts of their images. The technology didn’t exist to reproduce the images as photographs or else they would have. If you check out letters from the soldiers, they ask for copies of the pictures for their families.

15. mathdemon says:

OH GOD…

NSFW, or let me put it to you explicitly: SCROTAL HERNIA; from the photo set.

16. Hagrid says:

Ugh. Unicorn chaser, please….

17. silkox says:

1. It was slavery, period. Or state’s rights — to have slaves. What passed for South Carolina’s declaration of independence from the North read in part:

Those States have assumed the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution: they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

2. The flickr set includes a picture of a slave whose inguinal hernia was left untreated by his new master, who purchased him for $150.

3. The pictures are all posed, not candid, but they are (somewhat) graphic.

Familiar with the battle of Hatcher’s run. My wife’s relatives fought in that battle for the CSA. The eldest brother was wounded and captured. Being poor North Carolina farm boys they obviously did not fight to protect slavery. Slavery was a significant issue but to state it was the cause and reason for the Civil war is far too simplistic.

• Anonymous says:

Anonymous, I’m sure no one is accusing your wife’s relatives of personally supporting slavery. When we talk about the causes of the Civil War, we’re talking about why the Confederate *states* decided to secede, which can be very different from why individual soldiers fought for those states once the war started. But the reverse is also true. The fact that an individual Confederate soldier did not mean to support slavery does not change the fact that the Confederate states, as political entities, meant to defend slavery when they seceded. The latter is clear historical fact.