A tour of underground New York City

15 Responses to “A tour of underground New York City”

1. S2 says:

tl;dr. Instead, I just mentally replayed snippets from Futurama episodes featuring sewer mutants and making the descent from New New York to roam underground through Old New York.

2. charlotte_benedetto says:

I listened to this yesterday and had the distinct impression ‘Brooklyn’ was good and drunk at the time of her interview.

3. kspraydad says:

Now I’m going to have to watch C.H.U.D. again.

4. nuschu says:

Interesting video on this as well:

5. eatingbeets says:

@ Halloween Jack… check out the documentary “Dark Days” if you want to see the mole people.

6. Talia says:

Last March I had the chance to see a little of underground New York myself, on Obscura Day. There’s a tour that runs through an abandoned railway tunnel beneath Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. It’s led by the guy who rediscovered it long after its abandonment, and he shares the tale of the tunnel and how it came to be abandoned (as well as some of the rumors surrounding it). It’s pretty neat.

Not my pics (I neglected to bring a camera, it seems), but here’s some flickr photos of the event:

Are more if you search for Obscura Day on flickr and poke around.

• Jack says:

Talia, that Atlantic Avenue tunnel is 100% not the same thing as these other tunnels. The Atlantic Avenue tunnel was sealed for decades and only discovered when Bob Diamond discovered it back in 1980. Nobody ever lived in it. It was just sealed up and forgotten.

These other tunnels that the homeless live in… That’s something else entirely. Lots of places like that exist.

Heck, I went to Brooklyn College and whenever I went into the steam tunnels beneath the campus I would explore and find signs of life.

7. YarbroughFair says:

I live in Seattle, this concept is nothing new to us. The underground tour attracts thousands every year. Strange that the poster would be “mind blown”.

8. Jason Weisberger says:

@Maggie — History Channel has an entire series on this:

feed://www.history.com/shows/cities-of-the-underworld/rss

9. Freek says:

“I don’t know why people are miserable — they got everything that I don’t have. And I’m happier than them.”

As the old saying goes; “money can’t buy you happiness”.

10. turn_self_off says:

No katana wielding turtles?

11. 3lbFlax says:

Let me add, in the name of the Queen and with scant intelligibility, “MIND THE DOORS!”

12. Halloween Jack says:

Who knows what lies underneath the surface of that canal, but the top layer, at least, seems to be composed of empty water bottles. Doesn’t exactly go well with that nice old brick.

I have heard legends of the so-called “mole people” for years and years, but as far as I know no one’s ever found evidence of the quote-endquote “real” mole people–those that live their entire lives underground, or at most only come out at night. It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that some people have actually done so–there are people in Chinatown, for example, who have lived there for their entire lives, have never set foot outside of it, and don’t speak English–but the only mole people that I’ve ever read about anyone meeting are single homeless people or small groups that have taken shelter in some of the more accessible levels.