Lovely montage of East Coast blizzard

11 Responses to “Lovely montage of East Coast blizzard”

1. hapa says:

i want my 3 mins back. i was (trapped) there and what was intensely gorgeous was how much *less* industrial sound was in the city during & after the storm. this piece felt like a petulant city resident revising history to include the missing ipod.

2. PaulR says:

Hmmm, hard to get a feel for the scope of a ‘huge’ weather phenomenon when you can still the sights from across the street.

When the house across the street disappears from view or when you can’t open your home’s door (GIS for “Canadian beer fridge”) or you have to build a door on the second floor of your house for when the snow’s high, then you’ve got huge weather.

Montreal’s Ice Storm in 1998:

There’s a beautiful line from Laura Smith reworking of My Bonny: “Soon there will be no difference between the land and the water, I can walk to places I’ve never been.”

3. Blue says:

That was pretty nice.

I could have definitley done with some more time to enjoy some of the more beautiful shots though; the quick edits sometimes took away from that.

just a constructive comment, s’il vous plait…
    the slow rhythm needs more time to breathe – music is fine, just ditch the ‘fade to B/W’
    and agreed with the other comments, hold the shots a ittle longer
    this will resolve the problem… sometimes when you edit, you should leave things on the shelf for a week without looking at it and then revisit – you will see your own mistakes better this way
    ‘patience is a virtue unbeknownst to the ad industry, but not to the artist’
    very nice idea otherwise

5. Lobster says:

Prettiest montage I ever had to dig myself out from under. :)

I love this video. I think Stuart did a fabulous job depicting the increasing intensity and impact, starting with the light dusting and working up to the stuck cars and blowing snow. I especially liked how everything, including the dog, got moving in the end.

7. simonbarsinister says:

Very lovely video. Make all the more lovely because I left New York just before the snow hit and am writing this from Las Vegas.

8. frogmarch says:

I don’t know if Ebert mentions this since there’s no link to his link, but this is a clear homage, in title even, to Dziga Vertov’s 1929 experimental silent film “Man With A Movie Camera”, which was notable (and shocking at the time) for its rapid cuts and short shot length:

You can download it free at archive.org:

9. toxonix says:

That was nice. I miss having analog arpeggiators to sync up.

“Look deep into the parka. What do you see?”

10. OP_TIMUS says:

Great video, but the 1 second cuts don’t work for me…

11. MadRat says:

I wish it would have snowed some in Portland, OR.