21 Responses to “White Hand Society: The Psychedelic Partnership of Timothy Leary and Allen Ginsberg: an exclusive excerpt”

1. Church says:

This sounds like the worst fanfic ever.

2. Tor1193 says:

It seems Leary credited Henry Stack Sullivan as his mentor, as for the developmental stages most of Leary’s numerology used 4, 8 and 12 and he did study Freudian psychology som most of his work would reflect that. It seems he credits Konrad Lorenz with the idea of imprinting at certain stages, maybe someone else knows.

3. mathdemon says:

Why “White Hand”…? Couldn’t it had been any other color? All the “white hands” I’ve found online refers to secret military organizations and Irish gangs… Could somebody explain to this curious soul?

• MadRat says:

Since it’s Ginsburg and Leary, you’d think they would have gone with something like The Dayglo Crocoduck Society.

• quesarah says:

I’d like to hear that too. I haven’t read it yet, can anyone explain? I think it’s a little too early to be a reference to Saruman’s “white hand”.

Before he died, I unfairly blamed Leary for scaring the squares about acid – but came to realize they would have been terrified even without the jester.

What does it mean to report a fake letter? I doubt that the letter is in its original form… The font is not from a typing machine and there weren’t PC and printers in 1961

Glad someone mentioned Design for Dying. It’s a fantastic book!

As for the fascination with Leary: having read all of his main books, there’s a lot to be fascinated about.

The government put a lot of energy is discrediting the good doctor and a lot of that effort still sticks.

Leary said it best when he said:

Everyone gets the Tim Leary they deserve.

New Beatles song, combining Revolution 1 and Revolution 9:

Revolution One (Take 20):

Look for the On the Road reference:

Monk’s most recent biographer presents evidence to support the theory that for much of his life he suffered from bipolar disorder – a condition that intensified as the Sixties went on. I wonder whether Dr. Leary was aware of this and wanted to conduct an experiment in psychedelic therapy?

Then again, maybe he wasn’t. Monk straight was trippy enough – can you imagine Monk on mushrooms?

The mind reels…

9. kmoser says:

I wonder who lives in Monk’s apartment now, and whether they knew he once lived there.

10. Mister44 says:

Can someone explain to me the fascination with Leary?

• Ambiguity says:

That depends. Do you ever do acid?

• wrybread says:

Can someone explain to me the fascination with Leary?

You mean besides all that boring stuff about being one of the leaders of the psychedelic and cultural revolutions of the 1960′s?

And it seems to me that this is a damn interesting and evocative letter independently of Leary.

Now can someone explain to me the fascination with Thelonious Monk? (joke)

• querent says:

He was a Happy Mutant!

I guess I was about 14 when I picked up a copy of “Design for Dying.” I’m a thinker, but having grown up in a small, southern town, I didn’t have much interaction with other thinkers. That book blew my fucking mind, and granted me the realization that I was not alone; there are those who dig wild, new ideas. “Neophiles” I believe someone once called ‘em.

Also, his developmental model for psychological types always struck me as intuitively plausible. Not that model exactly, but the idea of basing a theory of personality on developmental psychology. (Like all the wannabe alpha-male dicks wandering around are stuck in their terrible-twos cause an overbearing father blocked their territorial realization. Stuff like that.) Prometheus Rising (Robert Anton Wilson) is a good read on that topic.

• Mister44 says:

re:”there are those who dig wild, new ideas”

So which ideas were those that appealed to you?

• Hools Verne says:

That idea can hardly be said to have originated with Leary.